Burn On Bottom Of Brew Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aking

Reaction score
after a few goes at kits with increasing variations i have had a crack at my first extract using liquid and dry malt, belgian candy sugar, steeping some grain and a couple of kinds of hops and the full hour boil (don't worry i didn't just chuck them all in at the start).

anyway the pot boiled away nicely and everything seemed to go smoothly but when i tipped out the brew pot there was a burn on the inside at the bottom, there wasn't a burnt smell to the wort but is this likely to have caused any problems.

I think its going to be a monster as the OG was 1070

thanks

I don't get a black burn in the pot but I don't do big beers. But I do get a malt stain or burn on the bottom of the pot. Never had a burnt flavour in a beer from it..

Cheers

I have had liquid malt burn to the bottom of the pot when using an electric stoce top, I just poured it in and didn't stir. It was only for a starter so did pay any attention ot flavour, it def made it darker though.

I'd suggest that some of the sugars have simply scorched ontto the bottom of the pot, maybe you need to stir it occasioanally. I'd imagine that it will just darken the wort a bit and give it a more caramalised flavour.

How are you heating it?

Don't worry about it. At the Vic case swap, we brewed a beer and deliberately reduced 5 litres of wort down to about 1 litre in order to increase the caramelisation. What you've done is just taken that a little darker.

Your beer will be fine, DWRAHAHB.

Don't worry about it. At the Vic case swap, we brewed a beer and deliberately reduced 5 litres of wort down to about 1 litre in order to increase the caramelisation. What you've done is just taken that a little darker.

I guess it worked as its a nice honey gold colour too!

As others have said - no major problems.

One thing you can do next time is dissolve your dried malt extract into the boiling water until the gravity is around 1040 (approx 100g/L) Do the boil, adding your hops in at appropriate intervals then 10 minutes add dissolve in the liquid. I used to find liquid would be more likely to sink and stick than dry although either will need occasional stirring.

I have a similar problem, brewing in a 30 litre urn.

I take two stainless steel graters if that is the right term (?) and put in the bottom, this keeps the bag away from the heater element but still lets stuff burn to the bottom of the urn. I get a brown/black layer of stuff. No taste or smell as far as I can tell on the wort or finished beer.
grater.jpg

But last beer I made the steel grater lid must have been sliding around down there, for when pulling out the grain bag a lot of grains were left in the urn.. oops. The bag had a big burned hole.
So guess I need another solution, like a steel tray or something.

But won't this make the problem worse, that there will be wort trapped under there that will burn horribly?

thanks
Bjorn

I have a similar problem, brewing in a 30 litre urn.

I take two stainless steel graters if that is the right term (?) and put in the bottom, this keeps the bag away from the heater element but still lets stuff burn to the bottom of the urn. I get a brown/black layer of stuff. No taste or smell as far as I can tell on the wort or finished beer.
View attachment 33510

But last beer I made the steel grater lid must have been sliding around down there, for when pulling out the grain bag a lot of grains were left in the urn.. oops. The bag had a big burned hole.
So guess I need another solution, like a steel tray or something.

But won't this make the problem worse, that there will be wort trapped under there that will burn horribly?

thanks
Bjorn

Are you talking about BIAB? I was under the impression that when you put your bag in, you turn the heat off, and simply insulate the pot for the duration that the grain is in?

thanks guys otherwise it all looks good just need the yeast to wake up and get going but thats another topic

Burnt is a legitimate flavour in beer tasting.
Whether you like it in your beer is up to you.
All my extract brews I used to make on the stovetop had a burnt layer on the SS base, but I dont detect it ever affecting the flavours.

Are you talking about BIAB? I was under the impression that when you put your bag in, you turn the heat off, and simply insulate the pot for the duration that the grain is in?

Yes, BIAB but I add heat after the mash period for the mash-out.

thanks
Bjorn

Latest posts

Back