Bundaberg Constructions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fellas, the day finally arrived. Gregs brewery is now fully functional and you can be assured gregs is now a REAL brewer.
The day went without a hitch, HERMS worked a treat and all target temps were hit spot on.
3hrs and 15 minutes from dough in to cubing.

The proud brewer with his baby.
View attachment 32729

Mashing in a double batch of Cromwell bitter
View attachment 32730

How's this for clear recirculation?
View attachment 32731

Boil is finished and it's time to no chill.
View attachment 32732

The last of the wort, nice and clear.
View attachment 32733

And here we have one very happy brewer
View attachment 32734

This had to have been one of the easiest and smoothest brew days I have seen, I wish all of mine were like that.
And just as a teaser here's gregs herms, the heart of the brewery.
View attachment 32735

Lisa and I had a great day, thanks Greg and Deb, we're looking forward to the next one.
Oh and by the way Qldkev and Thunus, you've disappeared from the rear view mirror :lol:

Cheers
Andrew

Well that was one very enjoyable day; thanks very much Andrew and Lisa for sharing it with myself and Deb, it was a wonderful day. It reminded me of the master and the apprentice with me trying to take it all in and having a ball at the same time (At one stage I had to push my way in to have a go with the mash paddle). :lol:

I guess it all ran smoothly because the brew system was modelled on Andrews gear and Ive had a lot of input from him and the local brew community. So thanks go to Andrew, QldKev, Budwiser and Yardy. And a special thanks to Thunus AKA Scott for allowing me to take the liberty during work to complete this rig and supplying the steel, thanks very much Scott.

Oh and by the way Kev and Scott Im sorry about the dust Ive left you in, but the road for me is all clear ahead, please dont hesitate to call if you require directions. (I wonder what that dust tastes like). :D

Nice job Gregs,

How well did the HX perform? Did you step mash and what sort of ramp rate did you get?

hockadays

well done greg B) :icon_chickcheers: :beer: :beerbang:

And a special thanks to Thunus AKA Scott for allowing me to take the liberty during work to complete this rig and supplying the steel, thanks very much Scott.

Yes I'll second that Gregs. I think there are a few Bundybrewers that owe a lot to Scotts generosity, hopefully one day I'lll be able to repay him in some way. Thanks again Scott it is greatly appreciated.
Feel free to come over anytime and I'll hose the dust off for you :p .
Cheers
Andrew

Nice job Gregs,

How well did the HX perform? Did you step mash and what sort of ramp rate did you get?

hockadays

Yeah hockadays thanks, I didn't time the unit during this brew although I water tested the ramp times repeatedly prior to insulating the HERMS & Mash Tun. Showed a step of one degree per min. That was tested from 65 degrees to 80 degrees. The water inside the HERMS unit it self showed 70 degrees while it was holding a constant 65 degrees in the coil. during the brew the water in the herms unit showed 68 degrees while the wort was holding 65 degrees in the coil, just a little beter than the water test. The variation during the mash was between 65.4 and 64.6 degrees. Not bad really.

Congratulations Gregs.

Don't worry about the dust QLDKev and I are washing it down with a JSGA as we type :p

A double Cromwell Bitter in the fermenting fridge and pressured up. Life's good. :D
Brew_Gear_056.jpg

Looking good Greg, how did those cubes go, did they maintain the vacuum Ok?

Andrew

Well Andrew they appeared to have held vacuum, I slowly loosened the lids and I could hear air rush in so I guess they are ok.

Smelt so good I thought about putting it straight in to the kegs. :)

Well done guys, great to see some fine engineering and a whole lot of knowledge shared... :beerbang:

Congrats Gregs, that system leaves you to learn to brew without the hassle of system development at the same time, smart move.

Cheers,

Screwy

Congrats Gregs, that system leaves you to learn to brew without the hassle of system development at the same time, smart move.

Cheers,

Screwy

Thanks Screwy; you probably dont realise it, but for a long time now Ive been reading your posts taking in the information that youve been offering to others, and a lot of the technical points youve made in regards to HERMS brewing are built into my system. Thanks heaps. gregs.

Hey Greg, you may have HERMS but you don't have a BAG!

QldKev

Looks like there's a bag in there holding the hops.

Hey Greg, you may have HERMS but you don't have a BAG!

QldKev

Hey Kev, Kai is right the bag is holding the hops, however the bag youre referring to is on my pillow where it belongs. Im brewing again this weekend and hopefully doing two doubles a Dr Smurt GA and an Andrews Pills. Id love you to be here to help. Stay in touch. Cheers.

Oh and by the way you and Scott have been quiet lately, is it because youre dusting your selves off? :D

Hey Kev, Kai is right the bag is holding the hops, however the bag youre referring to is on my pillow where it belongs. Im brewing again this weekend and hopefully doing two doubles a Dr Smurt GA and an Andrews Pills. Id love you to be here to help. Stay in touch. Cheers.

Oh and by the way you and Scott have been quiet lately, is it because youre dusting your selves off? :D

Not sure why we need dusting after all the brews us masters have achieved, you apprentices may need some time to catch up.

We can have a combined brew day, Thunus, Gregs and QldKev... have you got your tow hitch organised on that brew bench yet, or is it at your place? :icon_chickcheers:

QldKev

Hey Gregs just a warning if your going to invite QLDKev over for a brew day you'll need more than 46lts of cromwell!

Actually Scott It will be a dry brew day as the Cromwell Bitter that was brewed last weekend was the first beer Ive brewed since the brew day Deb an d I put on all them weeks ago. But you and Kev bags are welcome as I would love to see the master brewers in action.

Second thoughts Ive band all bags from the shed, but youre welcome to use my gear. Cheers. Please dust your selves off before entering. :icon_cheers:

Back