Bulk Priming In A 19 Litre Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day all,

Im glad this was brought up because im currently in the same predicament. 4 kegs should be arriving this week. I've got 2 brews finished in the fermenter. Now I want to transfer to my new kegs, but I dont have the reg, gas setup in my fridge yet.

Im awaiting parts for this. And im planning on using them both Christmas day for the family. I have a fridge and would like to bulk prime the keg. How would one go about this.

G'day all,

Im glad this was brought up because im currently in the same predicament. 4 kegs should be arriving this week. I've got 2 brews finished in the fermenter. Now I want to transfer to my new kegs, but I dont have the reg, gas setup in my fridge yet.

Im awaiting parts for this. And im planning on using them both Christmas day for the family. I have a fridge and would like to bulk prime the keg. How would one go about this.

Have a read through this thread, may help.... :icon_cheers:

LOL.

Smartarse.

So its around 55g of dex to prime a 19L keg at 20c. Condition for 2 weeks, then crash chill. Plug the charger in give it a quick crank and drink away??

You would assume you will not get a full 19L into the keg so work on 18 or 18.5...

Equating to 45-50g depending on desired carbonation level.

Purge headspace after filling.

Yes, condition for 2 weeks at room [20 deg.] and chill, then pour a pint or 2 should clear the sediment on the bottom from conditioning [secondary] fermentation...

Then charge and serve.

Thats how I understand it anyway, sorry not practised in the dark art but seems right to me!!

Others may have better advice.

Head space I recon that has a lot to do with carbing up jeez Im pissed shouldnt be poisting

Just noticed the difference though when the last bott is filled only half way the carb level is different.

Ok so my steps are -

1. Mix 50g (Fermentation temp - 18c, Volume 18L at 2.3 Volumes Co2)Dextrose with 100ml of water, bring to boil - cool and tip into keg
2. Syphon wort from fermenter to Sanitised keg
3. Seal keg, attach charger release some Co2 into keg and purge Oxygen
4. Prime for 2 weeks at 20c, then chill
5. Christmas day - attach charger give a shot of Co2 and start drinking

Ok so my steps are -

1. Mix 50g (Fermentation temp - 18c, Volume 18L at 2.3 Volumes Co2)Dextrose with 100ml of water, bring to boil - cool and tip into keg
2. Syphon wort from fermenter to Sanitised keg
3. Seal keg, attach charger release some Co2 into keg and purge Oxygen
4. Prime for 2 weeks at 20c, then chill
5. Christmas day - attach charger give a shot of Co2 and start drinking

under -how did this method work for you on christmas day?

Around 2 weeks with warmer weather is fine i do this regularly and always push the O2 out with CO2 everytime i keg. I use my CO2 line to push the O2 out.

Priming the keg also leaves you with the first few glasses being cloudy but it will clear up.

Kleiny

Does it make any difference if you purge thru the gas in or beer out post? What post do you guys use?

Hey mate,

Never ended up doing it. I got a mate down the road to carb them for me :D

Guys , the gas law is quite simple really it is just determining who wrote it that is the problem.... LOL... it was Henry or Dalton .. I can never remember..

L

Bump! Digging up an old post. Kegging for the first time, not worried about having to use extra gas to carb and am too impatient to let it condition for another couple of weeks. My main question is it necessary to prime kegs in order to get the extra 0.2 or so alcamohol points as in bottling? Cerveza already cc'd for a week
Cheers Steve

Its an either or thing.

Either carb from the gas bottle (forced or otherwise), or

Prime and carb with dex etc in the keg.

Only the latter will add ABV as the extra fermentation to produce the co2 also produces a little alcohol.

I'd definitely agree you need to carb to half what you would for bottles. I carbed a friend's keg with, ~3/5ths the normal amount of Dex i would use for bottles, thinking i was being conservative. Massively, massively overcarb'ed. I'd definitely go half or less!

Also, the Dex method will produce more yeast sediment compared to force carbing; as the Dex will cause the yeast floating in the beer to multiply, do a secondary fermentation, then settle out. Whereas force carbing the keg will produce no more than what's already there.

FWIW, i'll be doing this in my own kegs - i'll soon have 1x 9L, 2x 4L, 2x 2L kegs, carb'ed using Sodastream bulbs. So i'll use Dex to produce the basic carb'ing of the kegs, then use the SS to push it out.

Yes. I'm a cheapskate.

Damn wish I'd read this before bulk-priming a keg for the first time - reckon I'll be able to blow the doors off with the amount of dextrose i dropped in it!

19L x 158g Dextrose. I might just go and vent elsewhere for a while...

Back