Bulk Priming And Residual Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo_dr

Reaction score
I've got into the habit of putting my brews into the fridge for secondary, and therefore the temperature at which I bulk prime and bottle is several degrees lower than the fermentation temperature.

When calculating the residual CO2 of a brew, and therefore the amount of fermentable needed to be added during bulk priming to achieve a certain level of carbonation in the finished product, should one use the temperature the beer was fermented at, or the temperature the beer is being primed / bottled at?

I've got into the habit of putting my brews into the fridge for secondary, and therefore the temperature at which I bulk prime and bottle is several degrees lower than the fermentation temperature.

When calculating the residual CO2 of a brew, and therefore the amount of fermentable needed to be added during bulk priming to achieve a certain level of carbonation in the finished product, should one use the temperature the beer was fermented at, or the temperature the beer is being primed / bottled at?
In short, use the max temp of the beer during active ferment.
Better still do a search!
OK I'll save you time, This Is A Link To An Article By The Great Man, Buttersd70!
Have fun!
Nige

Where'd that come from?! A very useful read. I'm doing a risk analysis for a recent bottle bomb, and was thinking the cooling would increase the CO2 level after racking to secondary. Of course, I'm not cooling under pressure, so that's not the reason...

Cheers Nige :icon_cheers:

Back