Bulk Priming And Racking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enough to dissolve. I usually use just under a litre (not measured) boiled up then added to the racking vessel.

... i have also entered the temp as 22deg not sure if that needs altering but i figured that
is close to what they will sit at in the bottle. also this is using cane sugar. ...
No ... have a look at THIS post.

Can I start collecting a dollar for each time I answer this question? ;) [Sub-total: $3]

:huh:
No ... have a look at THIS post.

Can I start collecting a dollar for each time I answer this question? ;) [Sub-total: $3]

lol shame on me i had read that post cuz i remember linking to the charts. ok just out of intrest sake then if i caluculate to 22 deg which was my highest temp fermenting after the krausen stage (only got the temp controll on after i had started fermenting). if my bottles go into the cupboard and the temp is say 30 plus (we have had a heat wave and prob expect more) then it wont matter and i wont get bombs? if i had another fridge and temp controller and hell more money :p i would keep them at same temp.

... if my bottles go into the cupboard and the temp is say 30 plus (we have had a heat
wave and prob expect more) then it wont matter and i wont get bombs? ...
Depends on plus what ... wouldn't like to be around 30 plus 30! :ph34r: Ok, that's
being a bit silly but high temps will increase the pressure inside beer bottles.

Infections is another possible cause of bottle bombs (bacteria can eat sugars
that are unfermentable by yeast) which we can't really do anything about except
make sure cleaning regime is up to scratch. Probably overkill but I'm getting into
using champagne bottles (meant to be able to cope with up to 10 CO2 volumes)
as I keep finding shallow surface fractures in my Coopers bottles.

Depends on plus what ... wouldn't like to be around 30 plus 30! :ph34r: Ok, that's
being a bit silly but high temps will increase the pressure inside beer bottles.

Infections is another possible cause of bottle bombs (bacteria can eat sugars
that are unfermentable by yeast) which we can't really do anything about except
make sure cleaning regime is up to scratch. Probably overkill but I'm getting into
using champagne bottles (meant to be able to cope with up to 10 CO2 volumes)
as I keep finding shallow surface fractures in my Coopers bottles.

well with exception of the last 2 days we have had around 2 weeks plus 40deg heat outside and we in an old house no big air cons had no probs with my other beers in the cupboard but they were only done with drops. having never bulk primed was just being cautios. if need be i can prob store them in my big esky if the heat gets back to what it was. want to keep my freezer for fermenting
thanks for your help :)

hey guys sorry to bring this up again but how close to the same temp does the priming solution need to be to your beer whenracking to the priming vessel?

hey guys sorry to bring this up again but how close to the same temp does the priming solution need to be to your beer whenracking to the priming vessel?

IMO: Given that you add about 500ml priming solution to 20+ litres of fermented wort when bulk priming i do not worry about temp at all.
Just make sure it is well distributed (Shaken or stirred) to ensure that all of your beers carbonate equally.

my 2c

Latest posts

Back