Bulk priming after cold crash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hey all,
Im looking at bottling some beer shortly to give it some aging time before winter, after doung some reading and researching I havent been able to come up with a defintive answer.
Hoing I could get pointed in the right way here.

I have used an online calculator to figure out the amount of dextrose required to bulk prime, however I am confused as to wether the temperature that should be entered is the temperature the beer is currently at or the temperature the beer was fermented at?

Any experienced tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I would hazard a guess it is the highest temp *after* the beer has stopped fermenting.

Reason being - your dissolved CO2 level should not change much when cold crashing at atmospheric pressure. If there is nothing to actively add any more CO2 into solution (ie fermenting yeast) then the concentration should remain about the same (I'm ignoring temp related density here).

I'm not a chemist, or a professional beer science guy, and I've also only bulk primed once. But it worked, and they are still in crates under the house more than a year on.. perfectly carbed.

I believe it is meant to be the hotest it has been towards the end or after fermentation.
My understanding is that more co2 will stay in the beer the colder it is (to about 1C anyway).
given that CO2 will stop being produced in the beer after fermentation, this is the most CO@ your beer will have in it before carbing, even if you cool it down.

All that said, I usually enter in the 'd-rest' or cleaning up temp, as knowing exactly when them yeasties have stopped farting is impossible with the equipment i have

I used to try and work all of this out with the different temps etc but then was told by a brewer to just calculate bulk conditioning on 5.6g / L

Have used it since and gives me a good consistent carb that I would estimate at around 2.2 vols.

+1. You can over complicate things, but in practice the difference won't be that noticeable GENERALLY speaking with cold crashing an ale temp brew.

www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Thats better got there in the end

Thanks all for such great replies, all makes alot more sense now.

Thanks for the link rude thats the one I have been using.

Looking forward to bottling, havent done in a while.

Cheers

How'd you get on Beamer?

Killer Brew said:
I used to try and work all of this out with the different temps etc but then was told by a brewer to just calculate bulk conditioning on 5.6g / L

Have used it since and gives me a good consistent carb that I would estimate at around 2.2 vols.

rude said:
www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I'm bulk priming a cold crashed beer tonight. There's a 10ish gram difference between Brewers Friend and Killer Brew's 5.6g a litre for my brew so I'm going to split the difference, based on the highest ferment temp. Cross fingers!

I didnt get round to it mate, ran out of fermentors to rack into. Just went with the scoop and dextrose.

All good. Bottled mine tonight. I hopefully dodged an infection from a dodgy tap with this one so hoping it turns out ok.

Please let me know how your carb levels are, I will be bottling some wheats and saisons over summer and would like to bump up there carb levels

Latest posts

Back