Bulk Buying Ingredients & Is It Worth It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe White ale and pils are fine. I have a preference for other brands and I'm not a fan of their munich or vienna but I've made beers with JW and tasted beers with JW and you can make good beer with the malts. Many brewers use JW including many commercial breweries. Wouldn't call their malts crap.

Realistically you shouldn't dismiss/steer clear of a brand until you have tried it out -buy small amounts then buy bulk if you like it and think it will work for you.

I'll have a further chat at the shop when I go to make my purchase, but for the time being I will go with the European Imports. As I have it so far, I cannot possibly go wrong with Bestmalz, Weyermann etc. Will get a little of JW to test it out.

While on the subject of imminent grain brewing, besides my large 60 litre pot, is there anything else I absolutely need equipment wise outside of an esky with a bung, and equipment alreadt on hand from extract brewing? Might need some piping to rack from primary to secondary which I never did before. Is a wort chilling coil essential? And my 60 litre pot is just that with no tap at the base. Got musilin bags as well. Looking for a giant collander which will fit snug into my pot. As far as measuring gear, got hydrometer and digital thermometer, any others needed?

While on the subject of imminent grain brewing, besides my large 60 litre pot, is there anything else I absolutely need equipment wise outside of an esky with a bung, and equipment alreadt on hand from extract brewing? Might need some piping to rack from primary to secondary which I never did before. Is a wort chilling coil essential? And my 60 litre pot is just that with no tap at the base. Got musilin bags as well. Looking for a giant collander which will fit snug into my pot. As far as measuring gear, got hydrometer and digital thermometer, any others needed?

THat should get you throught the first few brews. But you will find upgraditis hits pretty hard once you go AG. Stand, pumps for a 3V system, chilling system, Oxygenation systems, temperature control, Conical fermentor. Its all part of the fun.
Actually, lets go back to temp control - Have you got it? Its much more influential than all this grain talk. How will you Ferment 6 batches while maintaining the correct temps?

Latest posts

Back