Bulk Apple Juice - Sydney Area

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crow

Reaction score
I'd really like to try making an apple cider this season.

Does anyone if you can get juice in bulk, preferably direct from the orchard, within ~100km of Sydney ?

Crow ,

Better if it has 12% pear juice for a nice flavour like strongbow I used 3 litre Just juice on special at Woolworths for $2.50 you have to go at 10 oclock on a wednesday as everyone has blown their wage by then and more specials on .
I bought eight enough for a batch used a Ale yeast added some sultans and freh granny smith it was fantastic

pumpy

I have 2 suggestions, easy one first.

1. Call Pat at Blue Mountains brewing 47514292, he has a mate who has an orchard & will point you in the right direction.
2. The lady with the Organic Apples at the growers market,Sat mornings, Orange Grove Primary school, just near Liechhardt Oval. To make sure you have the right place, first go buy an Ice Cream sandwich from Pat & Stick, they will point the lady out. Stick is a home brewer who dabbles in Cider now & then.

Cheers
Gerard

Only one place. Logan Bray Orchard in the blue mountains (outside katoomba).

Apples are crushed onsite into 4 litre containers for sale to the public, no preservatives and is the sweetest drop of apple juice you have ever tried. You don't even need to travel that far into the mountains as most servo's and shops sell the stuff during the crushing season.

Next crushing season (march?) I plan on going up and picking up 30-40 litres for a nice cider and to simply enjoy.

Agro.

Thanks for the tips, and keep 'em comming.

I swear the wife and kids go through 8 - 10 litres of apple juice EVERY week, and SWMBO really would like me to put on a cider brew for her and her friends one day.

Thought the apple season was late Jan / feb. Will check it out.

neonmeate said:
does anyone know if you can get cider apples anywhere (the sour ones)?
[post="97985"][/post]​
I haven't been able to find any. Henry of Harcourt sells juice each harvest, but I don't think their cider apples are yielding enough for them to be able to sell the juice. You might have luck in the Orange area... seems like they'd grow some pretty powerful juice around there, and I think that's where the apple people do lots of testing of different varieties etc.

Anyways it's not really the sourness you need, a lot of dessert apples have plenty already (Granny Smith definitely, Jonathon & Pink Lady I think so, Delicious no.) It's the tannin that they don't have. To get around that all you need to do is find someone with a crab apple tree and a juicer. I knocked on some guy's front door earlier this year and he was more than happy for me to take a few bags full because he was sick of picking up all the fruit that fell on the ground. Obviously the flavour isn't exactly the same as the genuine article but I feel like I'm getting pretty close.

And I always get my fresh apple juice in late April-early May. This is in Vic, though. Might be slightly different in NSW.

Latest posts

Back