Building The Manifold!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StraussyStrauss

WE ARE THE WHIRLPOOL!
Reaction score
Hey All...

I have a 45L ICE BOX Esky..

The inside dimentions are 430mm x 325mm..(17''x13'')

What be the best manifold for it?? Does anyone have one o these?

Thanks

SS :)

No idea about best necessarily. I use a copper manifold that I built myself. Just bought a larger esky for upgrade so I'll be building a new one soon.

If you want to build a hardened copper manifold I can help (and many old posts on here can help also). If you build it yourself, you make it the right size for your tun.

Hey All...

Thanks

Hi,
This is my manifold, works a treat...
22mm around the sides, 15mm in the middle.
NewMashTun.jpg

Pipes.jpg

CoolBox.jpg

Hey All...
Thanks

Batch sparging?

Use one of these
braid.jpg

if you are really careful you can cut off one end completly and pull the rubber hose out of the braid by snipping it in between the braid 'plat' with side cutters. Then you can use the free threaded end and screw it onto your bulkhead inside the cooler. :beerbang:

At least thats what i do!

If you are fly sparging then go with a designed manifold, otherwise you dont really need a complicated one for single batches.

Hope these pics help. I think I spent $80 all up on fittings including the 2 metres of copper pipe. I batch sparge, so I didn't worry too much about the distance from the sides of the esky. Makes me great beer (well I think so!). The stainless braid would be alot less rooting around ;)

103_0139.JPG

103_0141.JPG

103_0192.JPG

Cheers, John.

Cool...thanks guys!!

I'm thinking now a copper mani that is de-assemble-able.

cdool

SS :D

I'm thinking aloud here...

You want the manifold to efficiently drain the liquor from the grain. John Palmer did some experiments that demonstrated that if you don't have draining points evenly around the mash tun it does affect the outcomes to some extent (to what extent isn't clear to me). Also you have to minimise the crush so that you can use the grain to help you catch some of the debris...

Why the hell wouldn't you just use a voile bag? Then you can lift the bag slightly in any one of a number of methods, and that would mean you'd only need a single point to drain out the liquor. You can also be a little more generous with the crush, boosting efficiency. It seems like a lot of work for a very delicate approach.

My questions are to understand - this is not a one-method-is-superior kind of post. I acknowledge my BIAB paradigm but i'm honestly looking at the problems and the bag seems to address so many challenges. Look forward to having my perspective broadened.

I have given up on the braided stainless, too many stuck sparges and slow flow. False bottom would be worth considering IMO.

I have been meaning to cut the bottom off a couple of food grade buckets, drill a thousand holes and join them with tube to make a false bottom. May not be a manifold but.

coincidentally I am building a tun and planning to use false bottom. What size wholes will you be drilling in your false bottom? some photos attached.

I have given up on the braided stainless, too many stuck sparges and slow flow. False bottom would be worth considering IMO.

I have been meaning to cut the bottom off a couple of food grade buckets, drill a thousand holes and join them with tube to make a false bottom. May not be a manifold but.

Mobile0097.jpg

Mobile0094.jpg

Mobile0090.jpg

Mobile0085.jpg

Back