Building And Using Garden Sprayer Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After some inspiration seeing Mike's party kegs at 3G's case swap, I have finally got my version mk I happening.

DSCN3633.JPG

Just add a few metres of beer line and party tap on one post, gas into the other post.

I went with a 4L spray unit. Material type was noted on the unit as HDPE type 2 - the same as my fermentors, so all should be fine and dandy in that regard.

Inventory required (very rough prices... cant recall exact costs without checking the receipt pile!):

$20 Spray unit (HDPE 2)
$5 Chopping board
$10 Silicon baking tray
$8 JG Bulkhead fitting
$10 JG Valve or similar
$5 Beer line
$5 Party tap

DSCN3631.JPG

DSCN3632.JPG

I have not mucked around with the built in relief valve, and a small gas bottle is required to provide serving pressure.

I have tested this for leaks to 80kPa (my maximum serving pressure), inside my esky with the lid on, and out of impact range! (insert kaboom!!!! :lol: ) - and all was ok, no leaks.

My typical serving pressure would be in the 50kPa range.

Forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but why do you discard the original dip tube? Wouldn't it be easier to connect a beer tap to the sprayer line and put your tyre valve where the JG bulkhead fitting is? Seems to me like you're making more work for yourself than is really necessary?

Forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but why do you discard the original dip tube? Wouldn't it be easier to connect a beer tap to the sprayer line and put your tyre valve where the JG bulkhead fitting is? Seems to me like you're making more work for yourself than is really necessary?

That is exactly how I have made mine, but I figured it was for the larger diameter beer line and less restriction/foam up as the beer will create an eddy while going through. In saying that I have not had any probs with mine except my beer seems to evaporate at an alarming rate. ;)

What's the point of a 4 litre keg? To take with you when you're driving? Pussies.

What's the point of a 4 litre keg? To take with you when you're driving? Pussies.

:lol:

If I go to a mates place I can bring 1 or 2 of these 4L jobbies, for a good session. Bugger lugging around a 19L keg if its not all going to get consumed! B)

With this unit there was bugger all room for a tyre valve - but in saying that, I am using the pressure relief valve that is part of the unit.

I could have beer out or gas in on either post with this setup.

Of course all subject to tweaking after a few sessions using it too.

Cheers.

Raven, how does the john guest fitting for gas in attatch? mine uses a tyre valve, I would rather have a JG setup for my sodastream reg.

Paul

I think I have found the problem with all of my leaks, I thought the "gas" was coming around the "chopping board washer" but it appears to be coming out around the bulkhead thread, I think I over tightened the Bulkhead fitting or I need a washer as I have run out of thread to keep tightening.

Raven, how does the john guest fitting for gas in attatch? mine uses a tyre valve, I would rather have a JG setup for my sodastream reg.

Simply plugs in, the JG fittings allow easy removal of beer line. The bulkhead fitting allows a beer/gas line to connect at both ends - if that makes sense.

Example of the fitting

I am hoping to have a smaller CO2 bottle and reg to go with this setup, as such valves are not really required. (Except the safety relief valve on the unit already).

I think I have found the problem with all of my leaks, I thought the "gas" was coming around the "chopping board washer" but it appears to be coming out around the bulkhead thread, I think I over tightened the Bulkhead fitting or I need a washer as I have run out of thread to keep tightening.

Make up a washer from a silicon baking tray. Worked fine for me - I agree though that there is not as much thread to screw the lid on though. But mine holds pressure no worries. And I only tightened it by hand.

Paul

JG fittings are lovely, but remember you dont get a "valve" you just get a port - so if you take out the gas hose you lose your gas. Could be fine depending on what you are trying to do with your keg.

You could use a JG tap like raven (on both sides) you can fit an actual corny keg post, you could use a JG non-return valve for gas in. The tyre valves are simply the "cheapest" option Spills and I found that allowed you to push in gas but not let it out again... after all, who wants to spend close to a hundred bucks on a plastic party keg?

Hey Guys

Just thought i'd post some pictures of my version of the sprayer party keg.

I originally had issues getting the lock nut on the top of the sprayer to tighten up straight and hence seal with the cutting board washer, so i decided to go back to the original pump body and pull the plunger and valve out, drill out the valve hole in the bottom of the pump body to suit the JG bulkhead fitting and tap the hole to suit (1/2 inch BSP from memory). Put an O ring on bulkhead fitting before screwing it into the bottom of the pump body. Added a length of beer line to bottom to reach bottom of vessel.

28032010115.jpg

Used the sprayer out hole for the gas in connection. Cut original thread off with a utility knife. Machined down collar on bike valve to fit up through the sprayer out hole fom the inside, sealed with an o ring on inside and outside.

28032010112.jpg

28032010111.jpg

Also made my own soda stream connector with a 1/2 inch BSP brass t piece, seals with an o ring on the lower shoulder of the bottle valve.

Dmac

Hey Guys

Just thought i'd post some pictures of my version of the sprayer party keg.

I originally had issues getting the lock nut on the top of the sprayer to tighten up straight and hence seal with the cutting board washer, so i decided to go back to the original pump body and pull the plunger and valve out, drill out the valve hole in the bottom of the pump body to suit the JG bulkhead fitting and tap the hole to suit (1/2 inch BSP from memory). Put an O ring on bulkhead fitting before screwing it into the bottom of the pump body. Added a length of beer line to bottom to reach bottom of vessel.

View attachment 36733

Used the sprayer out hole for the gas in connection. Cut original thread off with a utility knife. Machined down collar on bike valve to fit up through the sprayer out hole fom the inside, sealed with an o ring on inside and outside.

View attachment 36734

View attachment 36735

Also made my own soda stream connector with a 1/2 inch BSP brass t piece, seals with an o ring on the lower shoulder of the bottle valve.

Dmac
Damn you! Now I have to make one of those. More projects to add to the list!

**** ME...this site is great.

Who would have thought to make that outta a garden sprayer...

I could disguise it from the mrs.....just say its for the garden and she will let me be :)

"Geee Hubby, you seem to be spraying the weeds alot these days and they dont seem to be dissapearing....."

Damn you! Now I have to make one of those. More projects to add to the list!

**** ME...this site is great.

Who would have thought to make that outta a garden sprayer...

I could disguise it from the mrs.....just say its for the garden and she will let me be :)

"Geee Hubby, you seem to be spraying the weeds alot these days and they dont seem to be dissapearing....."
..."and you seem more drunk than usual"

Does anybody use these sprayers for low level carbonating and serving? I am thinking of the British pressure barrels with CO2 bulbs. Could a sprayer approximate a setup like that, eliminating the need for sodastream bottles and regulators?

go to the first post of the thread where you will find the guides for building and using these things - they include a number of options for how to carbonate and push beer from these type of kegs, including the sort of things you are talking about.

I built one of these and used the suggestion of the silicon baking tray for a sealing washer, worked a treat. Took a trip to the local bicycle shop and purchased a CO2 tyre pump which takes 16g threaded CO2 bottles, usually give the sprayer a quick squirt of gas and it pours no worries at all.

Best invention out for transporting beer from your keg. Thoroughly recommend!

Latest posts

Back