Building And Using Garden Sprayer Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moad said:
a picture of the bung or something, sorry was a little vague.

I'm just not quite sure what you mean... what size is it etc?
Think they are 54mm (perhaps smaller) bungs for my 7L (9 litres squeezes in) and a smaller ones 35-40mm (?) for my 5 litre sprayers. Basically any bung (rubber/silicone stopper) that will seal the vessels opening
Will post a pic in the a.m.

I got a $5 silicon muffin tray from KMART, the bottom of the muffin holes is pretty much a perfect fit.

Cut a hole out for the JG fitting and screwed together and it seals!

Moad said:
Novaris what size disc? How do u seal the valve?
the disc is about 53-54mm I cut them out of 1mm aluminium sheet with tin snips.

The valve I use are these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110998488965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

the disconnects
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=84694&catid=0&clickid=popcorn

Earlier versions I used a tire valve on the post, now I place it in the lid its easier, I use the same valve for keeping bottles gassed. In the photos you can see the black rubber valve I used to use they have to be trimmed with a scalple to fit the grey post cap.
Also you can see I have cutting board spacers I use them because I have them but I really doubt that they are needed with the aluminium disc I havent tested it yet (I guess I'll have to now)

As I mentioned in the other post I do everything in these, I ferment in one transfer to one to lager, transfer to another to gas and serve. I often have four or five running at a time, I also use the bottle filler to fill some bottles for storage or gifts.

Only problem I have is I need to apply keg lube on the outlet post to stop leaks but I have had these hold pressure for over a month no problem.

sprayer keg.jpg

cap valve.jpg

parts.jpg

bottle cap.jpg

hi,i am working on it ,i thought i had it done then i notice that the co2 charger doesnt have a depresser in it to allow the charge to go in.

Such a great idea. Thanks :)

Have made some modifications to the original but it seems to be working now. I definitely want to change the bulkhead to be at the top instead of at the bottom but I don't have all the holesaws yet.

And I could not get the valve to seal properly having it screw onto the original post so i just drilled it out and got it to seal perfectly.

gallery_30834_1099_2659226.jpg

Cheers
Macca

Killer thread!
Right in my povo priceframe.
Thanks everyone.

Dear Thirsty,

Thanks for your very comprehensive instruction. Top Job Bob!

Is there a particular reason why you did not use the existing Spray-out line, as your beer-out line and use the plug in the large cap as your CO2 inlet?

It appears to me that the liquid-out business is already nicely covered.

Also, when fitting a plastic Bronco tap to the line, do I need some sort of (metal) clamp to secure it?

Many thanks,
JM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, there's a lot of great information. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any objections to using these mini kegs as permanent keg setups in a fridge? I only brew small 5l batches as I like experimenting and having a lot of styles but I have been bottling so far and would love to start kegging. I thought about hooking a few of these up to keg set up so I can rotate my small batches in my fridge. I live in a small apartment so thought this could be a great way to get into kegging small batches in a small space.

Also has any perfected getting a good seal on these with easily available parts? I'm looking at knocking out 8 of this for mini fermenter's and and kegs and thought I would ask for any advice to make things easier.

Cheers,
James

Hi,

Just to bring an old thread back from the dead. Was planning on making one of these and found these
https://www.kegland.com.au/ball-lock-post-with-1-4-inch-bulkhead-assembly-liquid.html

They also sell a gas one. Is there any reason why I couldn't use one of these as a gas in on the side instead of the tyre valve and one for liquid out in the lid?

Thanks

You'd definitely be able to use a liquid bulkhead in the centre lid. Not sure how you would go with using one on the side post, might not have enough length on the bulkhead thread to get the nut on on the inside.
However, you could trim down the plastic thread, as long as you have a nice flat surface for the washer to seal against you should be ok.

Other option is to plug that side post and run both liquid and gas from the centre lid. Use a 1/4" tee, Liquid bulkhead in the top for the diptube to pass through, gas bulkhead on the side entry. You'd need a male thread on the bottom of the tee or use a nipple/straight thread to form another bulkhead to secure it to the lid.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Cheers

Hi,

Just to bring an old thread back from the dead. Was planning on making one of these and found these
https://www.kegland.com.au/ball-lock-post-with-1-4-inch-bulkhead-assembly-liquid.html

They also sell a gas one. Is there any reason why I couldn't use one of these as a gas in on the side instead of the tyre valve and one for liquid out in the lid?

Thanks
I got a sprayer bottle keg up and running (sort of satisfactory) a while ago, sealing is a major problem, but I discontinued the idea because I couldn't get rid of the plastic smell out of the container even after many many cleans and different solutions and a few beers to try it. My conclusion was, at first a good idea, but didn't like the thought of plastic chemicals and smells leaching into my beer, so I use it as a pressure sprayer sanitizer applicator, and it is great for that job!

You'd definitely be able to use a liquid bulkhead in the centre lid. Not sure how you would go with using one on the side post, might not have enough length on the bulkhead thread to get the nut on on the inside.
However, you could trim down the plastic thread, as long as you have a nice flat surface for the washer to seal against you should be ok.

Other option is to plug that side post and run both liquid and gas from the centre lid. Use a 1/4" tee, Liquid bulkhead in the top for the diptube to pass through, gas bulkhead on the side entry. You'd need a male thread on the bottom of the tee or use a nipple/straight thread to form another bulkhead to secure it to the lid.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Cheers
Thanks for the thoughts. I've got parts on the way from Kegland so I'll give it a go this week

I got a sprayer bottle keg up and running (sort of satisfactory) a while ago, sealing is a major problem, but I discontinued the idea because I couldn't get rid of the plastic smell out of the container even after many many cleans and different solutions and a few beers to try it. My conclusion was, at first a good idea, but didn't like the thought of plastic chemicals and smells leaching into my beer, so I use it as a pressure sprayer sanitizer applicator, and it is great for that job!

Hmmm interesting. Do you know what brand your sprayer was/is

Cheers

Thanks for the thoughts. I've got parts on the way from Kegland so I'll give it a go this week

Hmmm interesting. Do you know what brand your sprayer was/is

Cheers
Yes, just a cheapy from Bunnings Aqua Systems!
It really is a good sanitizer applicator, I mix a 2 or 3 litre batch of Sodium Percarbonate on brew day and it gets used for everything, so quick and easy and pressure forces down hoses and pipes as well as spraying vessels.

Well those bulkheads seem to work. I had to use a spacer and a metal disk cut out from a sheet of stainless to seal the top and cut the side port down and on a slight angle to fit in the side but seals up and holds pressure.

Well those bulkheads seem to work. I had to use a spacer and a metal disk cut out from a sheet of stainless to seal the top and cut the side port down and on a slight angle to fit in the side but seals up and holds pressure.
Hopefully doesn't taste like plastic
Message_1551060611433.jpeg

A rinse with sodium bi-carbonate will get rid of any plastic tastes.
I tried that along with other products in the alkaline spectrum, even caustic soda, and then tried some acids, phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid, vinegar etc. Got it better, but it still always had a whiff of plastic to it, eventually I gave up. Now if you could find a food grade one, or maybe a bladder inside the bottle, then possibly it might be ok.

Back