Brown Pump For Rims.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Would the little brown pumps be ok to run a Rims heat exchanger that's about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide?

The system is a 1V 40litre.

Maybe post your Q over here in the RIMS thread?
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...56974&st=60

Or maybe better on the brown pumps thread here:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=59811

Can't comment myself as I use a march pump.

Hi Raven,

I read through those a few times before and found no reference to the question i have. All apologys if this isnt in the best location to get my answer but from all the research the march pump would be preffered.

Hopefully someone has tried it. surely?

Cheers

Not sure on the head the brown pumps can push, I dare say it will come down to resistance and head differential in your specific system.

You don't need a 'huge' amount of flow to avoid scorching as any movement of wort past the element will strip heat from the element avoiding the scorching.

I run my march pump around 50% throttled during the brew and its fine. Not sure if that is much help to your situation. Maybe PM a few of the brown pump users if noone replies further on this thread?

Thanks for the info

Going to check with Nev at Gryphon who i bought the pump from. Though he would of weighed in by now, lol.

I have no issues an Ebay-sourced 12V little-brown-pump and my HERMS coil.
I assume that the resistance from 6m of 12mm tube is much greater than what you'd expect from a RIMS tube.
There are a couple of videos showing it in use on my Blog post here.

However, the flow rate is not that high (about 3l/min) which means that the grain-bed-temperature lags behind the HERMS-measured-temperature more than I suspect would be 'ideal' if a more expensive high flow pump was used.

I have no issues an Ebay-sourced 12V little-brown-pump and my HERMS coil.
I assume that the resistance from 6m of 12mm tube is much greater than what you'd expect from a RIMS tube.
There are a couple of videos showing it in use on my Blog post here.

However, the flow rate is not that high (about 3l/min) which means that the grain-bed-temperature lags behind the HERMS-measured-temperature more than I suspect would be 'ideal' if a more expensive high flow pump was used.

That is reassuring the I can get a brown pump to run through about 1 meter of line inc. the rims tube. Nev at gryphon says it should be ok. Only one way to find out.

I'm just about to finish my RIMS system using the 12V brown pumps. Mine have a head of 3m with a flow rate of 8L/min. With an appopriate element, you should be fine

Back