Brigalow ginger beer kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamoaetmac

Reaction score
Hi I'm swItching from beer and have found 2 kits in Nz. Mangrove Jack's and Brigalow - couple of questions

Looking at the Mangrove Jacks - it looks and appears to be a standard beer kit with ginger? I'm looking for the original ginger beer taste made when I was a kid.

The Brigalow has mixed revIews here, would probably try this one first, I see others reccomend the Buderim Ginger refresher cordial, if I'm adding that do I still add the sweetner under the lid. Also what is the best sugar to use when starting - I see option from brown/raw/white/dextrose.

If I add an extra kg of sugar to lIft the ABV, will this Overpower it as too sweet and undrinkable. I've spent a Few years perfecting making beer, and happy with my results, but this is new territory, so grateful for those who've been on this journey making ginger beer.

The brigalow kits lack flavour from my experience, any fermentable sugar you add will just ferment out and not add any sweetness.
Brown sugar adds a nice colour hue.

Hi I'm swItching from beer and have found 2 kits in Nz. Mangrove Jack's and Brigalow - couple of questions

Looking at the Mangrove Jacks - it looks and appears to be a standard beer kit with ginger? I'm looking for the original ginger beer taste made when I was a kid.

The Brigalow has mixed revIews here, would probably try this one first, I see others reccomend the Buderim Ginger refresher cordial, if I'm adding that do I still add the sweetner under the lid. Also what is the best sugar to use when starting - I see option from brown/raw/white/dextrose.

If I add an extra kg of sugar to lIft the ABV, will this Overpower it as too sweet and undrinkable. I've spent a Few years perfecting making beer, and happy with my results, but this is new territory, so grateful for those who've been on this journey making ginger beer.
Hi mate, I'm in Oz and I have just found a couple of Brigalow kits at Woolworths so was going to give them a go first. I see what you mean about the Buderim Ginger cordial and I found some here as well. My thoughts were similar to yours in adding that for the flavour, however it's got a fair bit of sugar in it and wondered if it would need the extra too... Did you give it a crack?

Hi mate, I'm in Oz and I have just found a couple of Brigalow kits at Woolworths so was going to give them a go first. I see what you mean about the Buderim Ginger cordial and I found some here as well. My thoughts were similar to yours in adding that for the flavour, however it's got a fair bit of sugar in it and wondered if it would need the extra too... Did you give it a crack?

Measure the SG and then add more sugar if you want to up the ABV.

I made the mangove Jack's added the brewblend enhancer 15 and a bottleof the Buderim ginger cordial happy with taste has been in bottle 2 weeks. tweaked the Brigalow kit and added 300 grams of fresh ginger cut fine - I didn't peel it,to 2 litres of water, added 10 kaffir lime leaves and a pinch of chilli powder - boiled for 20 minutes, strained and let it cool. Added to the Brigalow kit, along with 1 kg raw sugar and 250 grams of brown sugar plus a teaspoon of dried ginger powder, and a bottle of Buderim ginger cordial. Added yeast and nutrient and left 6 days, scooped ginger on top off and bottled SG1040, FG1006- 2 weeks in bottle - tasting good with a decent but not overpowering ginger flavour. I had read these kit are quite underwelming on thir own on the ginger flavour. I'll probably add a little more fresh ginger to amp it up some more. Very enjoyable in a glass with ice. Extended family have tried both, and prefer the Brigalow kit, do that's my goto now, just trying to rehome the Mangrove javk batch so I can reuse the bottles for the next couple of brews

Last edited:
I made the mangove Jack's added the brewblend enhancer 15 and a bottleof the Buderim ginger cordial happy with taste has been in bottle 2 weeks tweaked the Brigalow kit and added 300 grams of fresh ginger cut fine - I didn't peel it to 2 litres of water, added 10 kaffir lime leaves and a pinch of chilli powder - boiled for 20 minutes, strained and let it cool. Added to the Brigalow kit, along with 1 kg raw sugar and 250 grams of brown sugar plus a teaspoon of dried ginger powder, and a bottle of Buderim ginger cordial. Added yeast and nutrient and left 6 days, scooped ginger on top off and bottled SG1040, FG1006- 2 weeks in bottle - tasting good with a decent but not overpowering ginger flavour. I had read these kit are quite underwelming on thir own on the ginger flavour. I'll probably add a little more fresh ginger to amp it up some more. Very enjoyable in a glass with ice. Extended family have tried both, and prefer the Brigalow kit, do that's my goto now, just trying to rehome the Mangrove javk batch so I can reuse the bottles for the next couple of brews
Cheers mate,
I'd heard that they need a bit of something to give a bit more flavour so I'll give it a go. I have all of the stuff to add the extra so may as well try.

There are threads suggesting throwing a cinnamon quill, a birds eye chilli, cardamon to the ginger you're going to boil adds another dimension and more depth. This is my first crack at ginger beer, I've spent the last three years enjoying making super hopped beers, and think with ginger beer I'll just keep tinkering, I did only add half the sweetener under the can, as I knew the cordial would add sweetness, I didn't want too much, I read to add the brown sugar as that would ferment, increase the ABV, but also add some colour to it.

There are threads suggesting throwing a cinnamon quill, a birds eye chilli, cardamon to the ginger you're going to boil adds another dimension and more depth. This is my first crack at ginger beer, I've spent the last three years enjoying making super hopped beers, and think with ginger beer I'll just keep tinkering, I did only add half the sweetener under the can, as I knew the cordial would add sweetness, I didn't want too much, I read to add the brown sugar as that would ferment, increase the ABV, but also add some colour to it.
Cheers mate,
Yep that's what I think I'll do too!
It's good that people will give a hint here and there for something to try, sharing the love.

I made the mangove Jack's added the brewblend enhancer 15 and a bottleof the Buderim ginger cordial happy with taste has been in bottle 2 weeks. tweaked the Brigalow kit and added 300 grams of fresh ginger cut fine - I didn't peel it,to 2 litres of water, added 10 kaffir lime leaves and a pinch of chilli powder - boiled for 20 minutes, strained and let it cool. Added to the Brigalow kit, along with 1 kg raw sugar and 250 grams of brown sugar plus a teaspoon of dried ginger powder, and a bottle of Buderim ginger cordial. Added yeast and nutrient and left 6 days, scooped ginger on top off and bottled SG1040, FG1006- 2 weeks in bottle - tasting good with a decent but not overpowering ginger flavour. I had read these kit are quite underwelming on thir own on the ginger flavour. I'll probably add a little more fresh ginger to amp it up some more. Very enjoyable in a glass with ice. Extended family have tried both, and prefer the Brigalow kit, do that's my goto now, just trying to rehome the Mangrove javk batch so I can reuse the bottles for the next couple of brews
Hi P, did the GB come out Carbonated from the bottles?

Hi. Paddy, yes I added sugar when bottling, usual measure for a 750ml bottle, it has a nice fizz and is carbonated well. I've been away for 2week so will report once I've opened another - that'll be over 4 weeks in the bottle. Strategizing my batch to put down once back as well.

Last edited:
Just an update P. I did as you had, interesting though, my SG was 1025 , and FG was about the 0095. I noticed that you'd said you scooped the ginger off the top, however mine had all settled to the bottom and was clear. Tasted and smelt pretty good. Bottled yesterday after 6 days, so will see how it ends up.
I hope to do a Morgans tin with the same recipe as above.

The floating stuff was probably the dried ginger powder, was easy enoug to scoop out, didn't want to use finings as i thought it might turn out clear like lemonade!! I might reduce the raw sugar down to 750 grams to reduce the alcohol level slightly, knowing the sugar in the buderim ginger cordial added a little bit, happy I added the brown sugar as it gave some colour to the finished product.

The floating stuff was probably the dried ginger powder, was easy enoug to scoop out, didn't want to use finings as i thought it might turn out clear like lemonade!! I might reduce the raw sugar down to 750 grams to reduce the alcohol level slightly, knowing the sugar in the buderim ginger cordial added a little bit, happy I added the brown sugar as it gave some colour to the finished product.
Cheers mate. Yeh I was really happy with the colour and clarity. I was worried as it really seemed to go off quick (as far as yeast goes). But the FG would seem to tell me that it was all good. I did knock the sugar (brown) as I thought the Buderim cordial had enough in it. The other thing I forgot to mention is that I did add some enzyme to it so perhaps that had something to do with it as well.

Was the enzyme to cut the carbs? I've used that in beer and even dry hopping 150-200 grams still gave me a washed out/watery result. Did it impact the flavour at all?

Was the enzyme to cut the carbs? I've used that in beer and even dry hopping 150-200 grams still gave me a washed out/watery result. Did it impact the flavour at all?
Hi mate,
Yes that was the intent. It still didn't taste too bas TBH. I suppose I'll find out in a couple of weeks when it's 'ready'.

Back