Brigalow Apple Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan A

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a keg of brigalow apple cider ready to bottle, although when trying it from the hydrometer tube it has a weird after taste sorta burnt plastic taste that make it quite undrinkable.

If I bottle will this after taste disappear? after it rests for a while.

I don't know what to say I have bottled this kit twice now and I don't know what it is about it, it is always very very dry. The first time I made it I used 1 kg white suger, it fermented right down to 1000 on the hydrometer, but lacked any sort of flavour what so ever. The second time I decided to use raw sugar, but I put in 2kg, again it fermented down to 1000 on the hydrometer, this time a very very dry flavoured cider with little apple flavour. I think a burnt after taste might improve this one. But alas when I bought this kit I bought three as they were marked down to $2 each with still 12 months shelf life. Any tips on giving a bigger flavour?

add some juice. I have a friend who makes a lot of cider he tends to add 2L of apple juice to the goop or you could puree some fresh (new season) apples and add them into the fermenter.

So simple why did I not think of that is their any particular type of juice that works better, I imagine that it should be 100% apple no sugar or preservatives added.

JCG

I'm going to be making up a brew of this pretty soon (if I get time I may do it today).

I'll be using the kit, 6 litres of apple juice, 500 gram raw sugar and 500 gram light dry malt. The extra juice seems to help abit holding the apple flavour.

You could also try getting a bottle (50ml) of apple schnapps essence and adding it after mixing everything together but before adding the yeast.

Definitely no preservatives or sugar added to the juice.

Don't worry too much about early aftertastes in cider, often they contain some artificial sweetener which will mellow out when matured / carbonated / chilled properly.

The trouble is that you need some kind of residual sweetness, otherwise cider is very (usually too) dry, and certainly doesn't taste much like apples. The same goes for any fruit really.

Adding more sugar (or honey) is usually a bad idea as it will tend to ferment out, producing more alcohol and dryness but no sweetness.

If you find your cider has turned out too dry, you can try adding a small amount of artificial sweetener and maybe some lactose to round it up a bit, otherwise just add some syrup in the glass when serving.

'Real' cider is often served 'live' (in other words, it is not yet fully fermented) or it is served flat and sherry-like, where basically extra sugars are added until such time as the yeast poops out, then a bit more is added for sweetness, resulting in a strong syrupy drink. Commercial ciders are usually pasteurised to halt yeast activity and then extra sugar or juice can be added to sweeten the final product.

If you are bottling it is very difficult to produce anything other than a very dry product. If you are kegging you can play around with filters and campden tablets to stop the fermentation early (or add extra sugar/juice for sweetness) and artificially carbonate.

EDIT - I really don't recommend adding malt, I've tried a few ciders with malt and they are always dreadful IMHO.

Back