Brewmate Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
I ahve some Simpsons malt.
Its bagged as Medium Crystal with an ebc of 140-160.

I can't find anything over 90ebc in the crystal as a malt in brewmate, so was wondering what i could list it as?

Also, is it comparable to caramalt? it looks exactly the same but it hasn't got that soft crumbly sweetness that the caramalt has.

Sorry for the newb q's, i'm still fumbling my way around the allgrain world. :unsure:

Can you add your own Malt into Brewmate and put in the specs you know?

click on edit up the top and go to fermentables, then scroll right down the bottom of the fermentables table and there will be a blank spot waiting for you to create your own entry.

Yep, cool.

As to the difference, is there a link that i can read to talk about the difference3s in flavour/usage for similar malts?

I've read the descriptions on craftbrewer and i'm still not sure about how it all works.

Where is the best place to learn about malts?

Haven't really found a place for that. I'd be very interested as well.

For example I've figured over time that you can approximate one malt by mixing two. Like a light crystal with a touch of chocolate can replace a medium or dark crystal in recipes sometimes.

Or even two crystals that are the same EBC may be slightly different in taste and maybe you can approximate them by say substituting some base malt for some munich malt (for example).

I guess the colour stuff is easy enough to work out but it'd be good if there were measurements for flavour. Maybe a sweetness measurement, roast measurement etc. All based on FG so fermentability would be taken into account.

Yep.

BTW i put it in as 1038 potential as that seemed to be what most of the other malts were at. Would that be right?

In BeerSmith...

Caramunich = 1.033
Crystal Joe White = 1.034
Crystal Dark Joe White = 1.034
Caramel/Crystal Malts range from 1.035 (Lighter) to 1.033 (Darkest).

So I reckon 1.034 may be more accurate for a crystal.

click on edit up the top and go to fermentables, then scroll right down the bottom of the fermentables table and there will be a blank spot waiting for you to create your own entry.

Cheers! I was wondering if this could be done. Thanks, Fents.

I can't find anything over 90ebc in the crystal as a malt in brewmate, so was wondering what i could list it as?

Sorry, forgot to add... that's because BrewMate lists the colour in SRM when you use the drop-down menu to choose a grain. You need to convert to EBC ...try THIS ...but basically the SRM is half of the EBC value (and double the SRM to get the EBC).

So, "Its bagged as Medium Crystal with an ebc of 140-160" = use Crystal 80 in your recipe.

HTH,
Steve

Sorry, forgot to add... that's because BrewMate lists the colour in SRM when you use the drop-down menu to choose a grain. You need to convert to EBC ...try THIS ...but basically the SRM is half of the EBC value (and double the SRM to get the EBC).

So, "Its bagged as Medium Crystal with an ebc of 140-160" = use Crystal 80 in your recipe.

HTH,
Steve

Shit, never noticed that. Thank you.

:icon_offtopic: sorry, but Jes's your Avatar BlueSky is hypnotic.... :icon_chickcheers:

Back