Brewing volumes with keggles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifting79

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have brewed a few batches with my 3 vessel system but i have only tried to do 22ltr batches so only to fill one corny keg per brew .. does anyone do double batches and how do they go about it ??

Are your kegs 50 litre ?

I've got an old document that says the kettle should be 1.5 x max-output volume.
So theoretically, that gives you 0.66 * 50 litres => 33 litres.
I don't know if this is accurate, but you do need extra space for boiling.

But you could always brew higher gravity, then dilute after boiling with extra sanitised water.
(this has it's own set of challenges of course).

Yep,

Higher Gravity with either a gradual top up through the boil, or a fermenter dilution. You can get 2 Cornys per brew.

The boiler size and HLT will almost always dictate batch size...I used to have a 50 litre HLT and Mash tun but a 90 litre kettle...i used to punch out 50 litres.
I upgraded my HLT to 90 litres ( my old boiler) and obtained 100 litre kegs from a guy on here..so now my mash tun and bolier are 100 litres and i can pump out 75-80 litres at a time

Ok cool yeah so I will give it a go on beer smith and try and get 38ltrs out of he kettle
Yeah I'm using 50ltr kegs the thought of being able to brew twice as much in one time is the way to go

Consider your boil length too. For a sixty min boil you can probably manage 38l batches without topping up kettle. 90 mins and you'll need to top up at some stage. I do 38l batches sometimes and the keggle needs to be watched like a hawk.

How are you firing your keggle? I use a 2400kw immersion element on mine and can squeeze out a 40L batch. It's a bit fiddly as the final 8L or so of runnings are captured in a separate pot and boiled on the stove - this is then added back to the keggle over the course of the boil (assuming big 60 minute boil). Other option as noted above is to brew to a higher strength and dilute in the fermenter.

If using gas, you could struggle to get 40L final volume due to the much more vigerous boil leading to a higher chance of boil over. Even on electricity I need to watch the keggle pretty closely at first.

Edit: probably should mention I normally brew 22L, but do pump out the occasional bigger batch.

d
gallery_21368_955_209290.jpg

Certainly makes for a more exciting brew day. Do it. Push the envelope.

The only batch that I have run to 38 ltrs was a chech lager and I know what your saying it really is a daunting experience but all the same having the capability to fill two kegs is a real bonus I'm guessing it depends on how high an sg you want to go as well perhaps I can look at welding some kegs together ?

Oh my shizzle stick that's a full boiler ok looks like an outside task I like the look of the hop spider does it get blocked. I'm guessing you have a squirted bottle in one hand and a mop in the other ?

Haha! Yeah, only for outside unless you're single or want to be. The spider never gets blocked but probably only retains 50-60% of pellets at a rough guess. I don't use it all the time but it's handy for big hop bills. A 75l pot or bigger will be my next investment I think.

AJ80 said:
How are you firing your keggle? I use a 2400kw immersion element on mine and can squeeze out a 40L batch. It's a bit fiddly as the final 8L or so of runnings are captured in a separate pot and boiled on the stove - this is then added back to the keggle over the course of the boil (assuming big 60 minute boil). Other option as noted above is to brew to a higher strength and dilute in the fermenter.

If using gas, you could struggle to get 40L final volume due to the much more vigerous boil leading to a higher chance of boil over. Even on electricity I need to watch the keggle pretty closely at first.

Edit: probably should mention I normally brew 22L, but do pump out the occasional bigger batch.
Exactly what I do except I rarely do single batches. I generally keg about 36 or 37 litres (ish).

Back