Brewing @ Sea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNQ Bunyip

Non Pro Member
Reaction score
So someting that has been on my mind for quite awhile now is ,

How well do you think brewing on a boat would go ???
Your fermenter would be gentley rockking or sloshing if things go ruff..

The missus and I have been thinking of moving on to a boat for a few years if the right one truns up .. Keeping a good eye out but you never know it would be a good change for a few years and you dont know where you could end up .
Look out south pacific. :D

Just curious as to what the brew gods would throw at me while I brewed up a few along the way ???? :blink:

Cheers :beer:

Captain Cook had a brewery on board to help prevent scurvy, & there was a British Warship that was a floating brewery. I am not a nautical man, but there must be a few old navy men around here.
Happy sailing
Keith

Hi FNQ Bunyip,
I saw this once on a site. Did I post the link on here? Cant remember.
I may have a bookmark at work.

I'm sure it was a yank brewer. Were not at sea but moored by the jetty doing a brew on the rather largish boat.

Quite a few pictures showing the process.

If I find it I will post the link.

Maybe a google wil turn it up.

johnno

Thanks guys ,

I had asumed that the old sailors would have brew somthing but times have changed , We would have refrigeration and air conditioning , 250hp of diesel thumping away , a flushing bog and internet . I want kegs just like at home not some 1800's swill... :)
Cheers

Build a gimbal to mount the fermenter, don't think fermentation would hang with all that motion to keep it stirred up.

Of corse a gimbal , why haden't I thought of that... mmmm somthing to keep me up half the night thinking about ...
Cheers

There's a little of the afore mentioned history of kit beers on sailing boats and the experiments leading up to the IPA. Not a bad readBT Beer styles

Fermentaion may go very well but I don't fancy your chances of getting your yeast to clear while on the high seas :p

Brent

You would get wicked attenuation.

Thanks Borret , not a bad read at all... I guess that filtering would be a nesesity to get clear beer, I dont mind a bit of haze or as the add says
"Cloudy but fine" Its a long way off yet, just somthing we're thinking of ..

Cheers Guys thanks

Charter Boat, Charter Boat, what Charter Boat, I was below decks in the brewery!

Borret said:
Fermentaion may go very well but I don't fancy your chances of getting your yeast to clear while on the high seas :p

[post="109379"][/post]​

You can easily filter your beer to get over the settling issue...

++++

I think the main thing you'll really have to worry about is the sudden movement of the boat, releasing CO2 from your fermenting brew & sending foam everywhere - maybe leave primary ferment for when you're in port... Other than that, i can't see many differences between sea & land... Live the dream, I'm jealous... :beer:

cheers Ross...

First of all you would use a pressurised vessel (thinking corny kegs), purge all the air, transfer to your keg to ferment. It may not be ideal but I would put a bleeder gauge on the keg so you would ferment under pressure but when you slosh around a bit pressure will bleed off the system at the desired setting (which you may vary depending on conditions of the sea).

when finished, filter and transfer to another keg. (use kegs for primary and secondary is useful as it will save space). If you are just doing kits you might even be able to boil in one (immersion element)

I was convinced to start home brewing after spending an afternoon drinking home brew on a yacht

Most yachties spend a good percentage of their time moored or at anchor. This is the time to brew.

He had bottles of home brew in every imaginable storage space, an inspiring man!

Cheers

Instead of a gimbal how about hanging the fermenter from the yard arm?

Thanks again for your replys .

Hupne, a friend has a 50"er and we had a hanging fruit basket in the galley for a few days , till the wash of a tanker sent it swinging so far that it hit the bulkhead and threw ripe mangos all over the place.. A small movment can make a large rocking motion very quickly ...

Briz , thats another idea I hadent thought of ,,, Thats why I'm here :)

Ross , I've read all about your filtering set up and if this comes off over the next year or so I'm sure thats how we will go ..
Thanks

Latest posts

Back