Brewing Reference Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
title says it all...probably stuffed up by putting it in brew gear ...

but still i've caught a few references to various publications...
anyone want to venture a few good titles for me to purchase please?
cheers totoro

title says it all...probably stuffed up by putting it in brew gear ...

but still i've caught a few references to various publications...
anyone want to venture a few good titles for me to purchase please?
cheers totoro

Simpletotoro,

what sort of information and type of brewing are you interested in.

Palmer's "How to Brew" is an excellent resource for extract and mash brewers.

Ray Daniels "Designing Great Beers" is a fantastic resources for developing recipes for the styles it covers.

Plenty of "recipe" books out there. "Clone Brews" and "Beer Captured" by the Szamatulskis have an American flavour and are great investments if you want to start with well tested recipes.

If you want a technical reference Kunze's "Technology Brewing and Malting" is unsurpassed for commercial lager beers and the ale reference of choice would be the two volumes of "Malting and Brewing Science".

Happy reading,

Keith

what Keith said, plus I think the classic beer style series are a good read, I just got the pale ale, stout, porter and belgian ale books for about $20 each, a great read.

Simply......
Check out your local libraries......Never know what they may have
or can get......i did....
Cheers
PJ

I read Palmer's How To Brew online and it was good.

I read Daniels' Designing Great Beers and it was very helpful - I continue to refer to it.

I read Mosher's 'Brew Like A Monk' and felt that I had found nirvana. He reinforced a bunch of stuff I had felt for a while and my brewing continues to improve in no small part due to him. He made me laugh out loud the *******.

There is a metric shedload on the web - you don't actually *have* to buy yourself a copy if you don't want to.

I really enjoyed Malting and Brewing Science, but its getting on and the newer more up-to-date

Brewing Science and practice
By
Dennis E. Briggs, Chris A. Boulton, Peter A. Brookes and Roger Stevens

Is a single volume that covers Ale brewing in similar depth to which Kunze covers Lager; it would be worth looking at.

MHB

what Keith said, plus I think the classic beer style series are a good read, I just got the pale ale, stout, porter and belgian ale books for about $20 each, a great read.

Sammus, I agree, they are a good read, but I ended up comming away thinking that they did not really provide me much more information to help me brew better. They are great for learning about the style, the history and some of the commercial examples. But they seem to lack a good set of recipes, there are some in there no doubt, but just not as many as I would have hoped. I have about 10 of this series, so dont get me wrong, I like them, just do not know, in hindsight, if I would buy them again.

Clonebrews was definitely a good buy and there are about four recipes from that book that are on the regular brew list!

I've got Papazian's book "The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing" and it's pretty good. Still haven't tried a recipe out of it yet, but it's been a good source of info. One thing i found when looking was some books had only imperial measurements for their recipes... this one has both.

My little apprentice likes it too. Seriously, it's one of her favourite books.
IMG_4790_1_3_1.JPG

Brewing Science and practice
By
Dennis E. Briggs, Chris A. Boulton, Peter A. Brookes and Roger Stevens

would love to read it, but also would love to have it in the beer library......$500 is a bit OTT for a small scale brewer...but who knows what the future holds !!!

Cheers
JSB

I read Mosher's 'Brew Like A Monk' and felt that I had found nirvana. He reinforced a bunch of stuff I had felt for a while and my brewing continues to improve in no small part due to him. He made me laugh out loud the *******.

SMOI, do you mean Mosher's Radical Brewing? BLAM is by Stan Hieronymous. I found both great reads and they gave me lots of brewing ideas. Also Farmhouse Ales if you want to make Saisons or Biere de Gardes. I used Designing Great Beers more when I was starting to make recipes that I do now, but it's a useful reference book as well IMO. Now to save up that $500 for Brewing Science and practice. :lol:

All of the above.

A tip is to stick to home grown books as they seem to talk in imperial
measurements in North America.

The Papazian's book "The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing" seem a good start.

John Palmer is good and comprehensive.

My "Bible." New brewing lager beer"
bt Gregory Noonan is a super book but as I said.
All imperial measure and very technical and no picture :mellow:

matti

Not out yet but looks like Jamil and Palmers new book will be a cracker for "award winning" recipes

Dave Miller's "Homebrewing Guide" was my bible for going all grain.

Practical but with plenty of well explained technical stuff for the geeky brewer.

I have 2 books
- brewcrafts standard 'how to brew' book - not bad for a complete new start but very very quickly outgrown (and you have to ignore all the brewcraft propaganda)

- Palmer (3rd edition) - just bought it. But the missus has taken it away cause its meant to be a xmas present :(. I hear its good though.

Tried to get Laurie Strachan "The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia" but G&G was out. A few AHB have said this is a good book.

Im keen to have a look at Mosher's Radical Brewing and BLAM is by Stan Hieronymous now.

Homebrew & Beer website link for more potential readings....for what its worth

For anyone new to brewing, the brewing for dummies book sold in most aussie book stores is a great starter. I know it increased the quality of my brews 10 fold.

Back