• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Brewing Gear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cici

Reaction score
Hi am new to this site but finding the menu interesting already.

I'm a novice brewer but the ex took all my gear so am trying to reestablish - so I'm not drinking tap water all summer. If anyone has brewing gear that's in XS to their needs [if that's possible] please feel free to let me know.

Also wondering if you are solely dedicated to beer or if any members also distil?

Welcome and happy brewing.

not sure where yourt based country wise, but distilling in Australia is illegal and hence not discussed on this site,

keep an eye out on the gear for sale thread. theres always stuff ebing sold off.

Your x took your gear?? I hope he/she makes the most of it

Good luck with sourcing gear. Im sure you will find something. Try putting what area you come from

Nah, no one here distils, as CM said, it's illegal. I believe some folks happen to own strange sealed "water boiler" vessels though. :icon_cheers:

If u r near Newcastle I can do u a deal on 2 s/s 50 litre vessels.

I believe that distilling spirits is similar to distilling water for health purposes, some LHBS may be able to help you out with water distillers as producing spirits is illegal and can be dangerous.... ethanol, good for a drag car bad for the brain....
May i suggest you consider distilling water this summer.....

NOt even contemplating helping him as he can't even fill his location in....

Hang on GMK, Cici's only just joined today, give them a break!

:icon_offtopic: Hey Bob, just looking at your signature. Conjures up all sorts of images about your beer given the reasons Coogee has been in the news for recently ;)

Just joking btw :p

:icon_offtopic: Hey Bob, just looking at your signature. Conjures up all sorts of images about your beer given the reasons Coogee has been in the news for recently ;)

Just joking btw :p

How do you think I get those raging fermentations started!? :icon_vomit:

Hi and thanks for the input.

Sorry for not putting my location. As Bob said it was my first day and I wasn't sure of etiquette and privacy. I'm in Sydney, female and the ex is a guy and no he hates brewing beer - he just took the equipment so he can brag about yet another victory.

I'm looking at distilling certain plants like bayleaf, peppermint and lavender for oil as I hear they are used to produce great natural cockroach sprays and purified water for natural cosmetics [yes a girly cottage industry in the making]. I think there are some parallels in the basics with brewing and distillation so was after feedback from the fountain of knowledge on this site without having to go to the expense of buying equipment available out there. I don't think distillation is illegal apart from for the purpose of producing spirits without a licence. I have since sourced information on the internet to allow for me to experiment - so thanks for comments and apologies for upsetting anyone.

Stills up to 5L capacity are legal for distilling water and essential oils.

Most home brew shops sell them and can give you advice on them.

mortz

CiCi, welcome to AHB! :chug:

Unfortunately I can't help you out with the distilling side of things, I've got zero experience.

But with the brewing equipment side, you should be able to get re-started relatively easily/cheaply.

It all depends on how effort you want to put into making your beer.
Are you brewing:
Homeland kit + 1KG sugar, or
Wetpack/mini boils, or
Kit + Mini mashes, or
All Grain or something in-between?

Of you're into smaller-medium boil sizes, grab yourself a 20L stock-pot from K-Mart or Big W:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=27221

Also keep an eye out on ebay for home-brew lots going cheap with fermentors, cappers, etc. Regardless of your brewing methods, that'll at least get you started.

Come back to us with some ideas and requirements and I'm sure we can help you out :)

Also put in your suburb/state if you're comfortable doing so. You're more likely to get your local people wanting to help you out.

Otherwise, best of luck getting back into the game. Hope to see you back as a regular member.
:beer:

Tim

cici.

distillation of spritis (anything over ~18% from memory) without a licence is illegal in Aust. no if buts or maybe

distillation of essential oils is legal as its not spirits distillation.

you can buy water distillers from a lot of homebrew shops and the like for water distillation of essential oil distillation.

regardless we AHB doesnt discuss spirit distillation. If you wanted to discuss essential oil distillation then i'd be putting threads in th 'off topic' section.

happy brewing!

Back