Brewing Courses - Adelaide Tafe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
Noticed this ad in the Advertiser on Wednesday 9 August.

They have some lovely stainless steel bling from morebeer for people to play on. Not sure how much these courses cost, but that info is only a phone call away. Check the ad for details.

Also happening at TAFE are a few part day workshops on beer tasting, profiling and food matching,

These are being run by Dermott O'Donell, a senior and respected breweer from CUB

Thursday 7th September
10am to 12noon Beer Profiling - $10
2pm to 4pm Beer Faults - $10

Friday 8th September
9am to 10:30am Beer & Cheese - $20
11:30 to 1pm Beer & Food Matching - $30
2pm to 3:30pm Beer & Food Matching - $30
4pm to 5:30pm Cheese & Beer - $20

Places in these sessions are limited, and have not yet been broadly advertised.
The person to contact for these is: Michelle Chung on 8348 2441

lastscan.jpg

If only i still lived in Adelaide.Looks like a few courses worth enrolling in there Stu.Hope a few Adelaide Ahb members enroll and give some feed back for future reference.

Cheers
Big D

The course is around $450 from memory.

10am to 12noon Beer Profiling - $10
2pm to 4pm Beer Faults - $10
9am to 10:30am Beer & Cheese - $20
11:30 to 1pm Beer & Food Matching - $30
2pm to 3:30pm Beer & Food Matching - $30
4pm to 5:30pm Cheese & Beer - $20

that's alot of beer!

Either that or a lot of food as we all know beer goes with all food. ;)

I suspect it is a lot of relatively small amounts of beer and food.

And, on Thursday there is no food at all, though there is some bad beer :D

I also reckon on Friday there is a limit to enrolments of one session each for cheese and food matching respectively ;)

If only i still lived in Adelaide.Looks like a few courses worth enrolling in there Stu.Hope a few Adelaide Ahb members enroll and give some feed back for future reference.

Cheers
Big D

And these are just on the 75L Beer Sculpture set up.

Don't know what will be in the offing once their new, custom built 1200 L rig arrives.

Stu
Do you know yet if any AHB members/miniflocs etc are going to do the course so we can share in some feedback of the value of the course.

Cheers
Big D

Stu
Do you know yet if any AHB members/miniflocs etc are going to do the course so we can share in some feedback of the value of the course.

Cheers
Big D
The guys doing the bjcp study were interested in the workshops, for sure. The timing of these courses - on a Thursday and Friday during working hours has caused a problem for most of them, however.

TAFE assure me that timing has been dictated to them by CUB.

Looks like a good intro and step through for mash brewing. Probably covers a lot of stuff many of us know, but never hurts to keep learning, especially if the lecturers really know what they doing. $420 is the price for 6 sessions plus you get a couple of cartons worth of beer to take home. Tempting really.

Have a look at the flyer for more details.View attachment BREWING_COURSES_flier_letter_v2.doc

$420?

Save you money and buy brew gear I reckon.

Even without watching a mash you can pick it up. Just read a lot and ask plenty of questions on brewing forums.

I would not go for it, but hey others might.

cheers
johnno

$420?

Even without watching a mash you can pick it up. Just read a lot and ask plenty of questions on brewing forums.

cheers
johnno

AGREE ;) tafe: Training After Failing Everything Or Try And F@# king Enroll :rolleyes:

$420?

cheers
johnno

I agree it's steep, but there are only limited oppurtunities to brew with an experienced brewer. I've meet a few professional brewers around the traps and hit them up with million questions everytime, as I'm sure all others here do, regardless of how much we already know. What it comes down to for me is the quality of these guys lecturing and their experience. I'm not doing this to learn the basics of mashing. Maybe the Ballarat Uni course would be a better idea.

$420?

Save you money

Not necessarily disagreeing with you Johnno, but then again we all know you are about as loose as a piscean derriere :p

On the other hand, 24 hours contact time for that price is approaching WEA pricing in the adult amateur eductation market. In other words, it is pretty competitive.

My major concern is that they impress on students that you do not need a prohibitively expensive, if mega bling, brew sculpture brewery to replicate the results at home.

Bucket it in bucket brewing it is not. That, however, is where most of us start out. If that is covered adequately, and you get to play with the nice shiny bling..............

I haven't got around to giving mishy a call yet but will be putting my name down for the doctered beers/ beer faults session, actually CUB don't need to doctor VB at all for me to find a fault in it already :eek: the sulfur sometimes sticks out like a stain on a whitehouse interns dress. :lol:

Boozed broozed and broken boned
Jayse

Anyone that wants to waste money on this is brewing with gravel.

If you are determined enough to learn the process you can teach yourself by using any of the good brewing forums around.
AHB being one of the best examples.

My example.

Before i purchased my Coopers kit I researched around and read whatever I could for a month or two.
I never watched anyone do a partial or ag or even how to make a K+K.
I didnt even watch the video that came with the kit because VHS is sooooooooooooooo last century and I did not have one.

I found this site and a few others and basically just read whatever I could. AHB is particulary good becuase of the pics posted.
I made a few K+K's and months later I was gently pushed into partials my members of the forum and my desire to learn. I purchased a big bag of dry malt and started going to the brewshop to get my grain.
I used to use 2 ss pots and a colander to drain the grain. Big deal. I got my confidence up and progressed from there.

Admittedly if you watch someone a few times it may fall into perspective quicker but there is really no need to do anything like this wanky course. Just find another brewer in your area if possible.

Take $420 and throw them all away because that is what you are doing anyway.

Hi Everyone,
In case you didn't know, I'm the brewing Lecturer at TAFESA Regency Campus Brewery, and we have come a long way since guest speakers in evening slots. We have a popular mash brewing short course using small scale equipment, and professional qualifications as well. The full microbrewery has been running since 2007. There are still evening classes, in Beer sensory. The Admin officer in charge of enrollments etc is Desiree, 08 8348 4057.

If you want to reach me at work: [email protected]
Cheers,
Nelsen