Brewing ale in Sydney's climate without power

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm uhmm-ing and aah-ing about the right time of year to start brewing. I've moved up from Melbourne (where I could just use a heating pad in my cold basement) to Sydney. I'd like to brew soon, because I'm thirsty, but it's still pretty warm. When can I start and not ruin it?

Complicating things further, my new basement has no power supply - it's just a locked cage. There are a couple of other sneaky positions around the apartment block that I could hide the fermenter, but all of them are more temperature exposed than the carpark, and none of them have power either. Lastly, my tiny flat is right in the sun, and gets huge temperature fluctuations during the day.

When/where should I brew?

The basement will be your best bet if you don't want to fork out for a fridge and temp control. When i lived in a flat I only had a basement storage space which worked out ok because it was always between 16-22 degrees all year around, although a few days of high 30's temps would see it rise to 24 or 25. You can use a fermenter sized tub and some ice bricks to regulate the temp if you need to.

That being said, if you have space for a little bar fridge, I'd be going that way.

YeastInspection said:
Second, will a standard fermenter fit in a bar fridge?
Yes, depending on the fermenter and fridge combo.

My fermenter is currently in a bar fridge....

Hey mate,

As a fellow tiny apartment dwelling Sydneysider, I feel your pain. I had to negotiate for a long time before the Mrs allowed me to park a second fridge in our tiny kitchen.

An option that may work for you is a 'swamp cooler'. Basically a big esky that you put your fermenter in with some cold water and frozen water bottles. You then wrap the fermenter in a towel and it draws the water up like a wick. You will need to replace the water bottles frequently but it's going to be the best you can do without a fridge.

Back