Brewery Self-tour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a massive night in Bendigo about a year back. Popped into Holgate's on the way home the next day (don't worry, I had a designated driver - I was in no state to drive!).

I had a hand pumped ESB. Well, it cured my hangover and we ended up spending a good 3hrs there.

The Holgate Pilsener is a nice drop if your thirsty on a hot day. Goes down a treat.

Parma seems to be a Victorian thing, we don't get it in QLD thankfully. In the UK it's the food that drunks snack on staggering home from the pub (probably better than when I lived there and you would stagger home with a plastic cup of curry and a bag of chips, dip a chip in the curry, suck it off and eat the chip, dip the next chip in the curry, suck it.....)

A great Parma is a good way to judge a pub's worth (beyond the beer).. I'm sure Gordon "F**king Donkey" Ramsey would even judge a pub on it's Parma..

Great Parmas can be found at the Young & Jackson Pub (Flinders St, Melbourne), Mrs Palmers (Lt. Bourke St, Melbourne) and Portland Hotel (at James Squires Brewhoues (Russell St, Melbourne). Not at HOLGATE.

holgate does a great parma and the pilsner washes it down a treat

Holgate Temptress :super: Double IPA/Hopinator - rocks too. Food? Who cares when you can go liquid? :D

Grand Ridge - Have to agree with the beer snobs and say the brews have gone skewiff in the past two years. They need to lift. They still have most awarded brewery on the label but have they been getting gongs in the last couple of years? Heard their head brewer left or something and quality has dropped.

Red Hill - Used to rate their wheat really high and seems to have lost something of late. Darn shame as I love good wheats. The space they have is nice and they grow their own hops though which is pretty cool. That said wasn't blown away by their hop harvest beer either - very belgian tasting with lots of fusel alcohol notes. A bit weird. But maybe that was the point - I guess it's a limited release.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back