Brewers -- Mash Paddle 2006 Is A Porter !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WillM said:
Please don't shoot me down (I'm new to this forum), can someone give me a link where I can get some background on ANAWBS and the waht mash paddle legend is all about?

[post="85321"][/post]​

Check here for info on ANAWBS.

In a nutshell, ANAWBS is the oldest, continuously running, National amateur brewing (and winemaking) competition in Australia. 2006 will be the 27th year.

Expect to see new, and expanded, style guidelines for ANAWBS 2006 announced on this forum in the very near future.

And, Batz, we are more than happy to continue to accept the Coopers pet bottles in all categories, including the paddle - they are just not mandatory in any category anymore. For far flung brewers like yourself, they can make a lot of sense when it comes cutting down on transport costs.

Thanks, I look forward to some of the other styles as well.

I did a bit of reading on the use of amber and brown malts in the 1800's porters and was planing to give something along these lines a go.

Might have to now and see if im crazy or not :blink:

might dry hop it with a rabbit in a hat for that touch of magic :lol:

i agree with the 1098 thing. Have not used 1028 yet.

I am playing with another english yeast at the moment. Just bottled a smoked porter made with it last weekend. Will see how it goes and go from there.

cheers

Firstly I would like to say thank you to the organisers for providing a brewing comp like this.

At the risk of being shot down in flames I reckon this is a big ask from the Mash Paddle organisers.

Very ambitious move. Ask us to make a beer we don't even know the true origins of.

Even the criteria set out is on a very broad range.

[/QUOTE]
Ingredients: May contain several malts, prominently dark roasted malts and grains, which often include black patent malt (chocolate malt and/or roasted barley may also be used in some versions). Hops are used for bittering, flavor and/or aroma. Water with moderate to high carbonate hardness is typical. Ale yeast can either be clean US versions or characterful English varieties.

Important stats:
OG 1.048 - 1.065 FG 1.012 - 1.016 IBUs 22 - 35+ SRM 25 - 50+ ABV 4.8 - 6%

Aroma: Roasty aroma often with a burnt, black malt character. This beer can also show some additional malt complexity such as any or all of the following -- grainy, bready, toffee-like, caramelly, chocolate, coffee, raisins and other dark fruit. Hop aroma low to high povided by UK and or some possible European varieties. Fruity esters are often present but must compliment all the nuances of the mailt bill and not overpower the flavours of the grain bill. This is not a Belgian yeast driven beer. Diacetyl very low to none.

Appearance: Medium brown to very dark brown, often with ruby- or garnet-like highlights. Can approach black in color. When the beer is not opaque it should be clear (particularly when held up to the light). Full, tan-colored head with moderately good head retention.

Flavor: Moderately strong malt flavor usually features a black malt character with chocolate and/or coffee flavors with a hint of roast barley dryness in the finish. Overall flavor may finish from dry to medium-sweet. Should not be overly acrid, burnt or harsh. Medium to high bitterness, which can be accentuated by the roasted malt. Hop flavor can vary from low to moderately high (UK and or some possible European varieties), and balances the roasted malt flavors. Diacetyl very low to none. Fruity esters moderate to none.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth. Astringency (hop or grain) is a negative.

Main Impression: A complex, malty dark ale with a flavorful roasty character. A smooth drink that brings you back for more.
In the end you could have 10 master brewers in the same room arguing till they drop about what constitutes a true porter.

Maybe the winner will be the one who goes to all the trouble of using bad over-roasted malt then blending three different kinds of beers.

Good luck to evryone that enters.

johnno

johnno said:
Firstly I would like to say thank you to the organisers for providing a brewing comp like this.

At the risk of being shot down in flames I reckon this is a big ask from the Mash Paddle organisers.

Very ambitious move. Ask us to make a beer we don't even know the true origins of.

Even the criteria set out is on a very broad range.

In the end you could have 10 master brewers in the same room arguing till they drop about what constitutes a true porter.

Maybe the winner will be the one who goes to all the trouble of using bad over-roasted malt then blending three different kinds of beers.

Good luck to evryone that enters.

johnno
[post="85363"][/post]​

Well the Paddle hopefully is a contest that will suit those up for a challenge. Johnno we really have no idea what a "real" Porter is like, however based on recipes and historical data we can come up with a close modern equivalent. I would presume that over the years the porter developed to reflect market rends -- a bit like mega swill only with flavour.

There were many additions to porter over the years -- some very worthwhile other close to deadly. I'm happy to see the worthwhile ones whereas the deadly ones will find you in court. :)

Get involved in the spirit of the Paddle. You have the opportunity to be creative and at the same time get bragging rights on your mates.

If you are really game post a recipe to this list and allow all the Porter experts a shot at your baby.

Steve

Next question: is it restricted to one entry per brewer?

Sean said:
[post="85411"][/post]​

Short answer yes -- longer answer I'm 99% certain my first answer was correct :)

I'll check the ANAWBS rules.

Steve.

chiller said:
Sean said:
[post="85411"][/post]​

Short answer yes -- longer answer I'm 99% certain my first answer was correct :)

Steve.
[post="85420"][/post]​

Should be ok to enter two so long as they are different IMTOie Robust porter, Baltic porter. Certainly cannot enter two Robust Porters

johnno said:
[post="85363"][/post]​

Heh, I was considering a blend of three beers actually. :)

Darren said:
chiller said:
Sean said:
[post="85411"][/post]​

Steve.
[post="85420"][/post]​

Should be ok to enter two so long as they are different IMTOie Robust porter, Baltic porter. Certainly cannot enter two Robust Porters
[post="85422"][/post]​

Just to clarify --

one beer style

Yes it is a a traditional English style Robust Porter

There is enough scope in the guidlines for experimentation and even adherance.

yep the history of porter as im now reading about sure was interesting.

additions to porter from days gone by included...
cocculus indicus-- dried berries of a climbing plant found in malabar and ceylon.used to stupefy fish and in england to increase the intoxicating power of beer and porter.

other adulterants----- opium,indian hemp,strychnine,tobacco,darnel seed,logwood and salts of zinc,lead and alum.

exactly how close to the real porter would you like the entries to be chiller?
can supply a hemp porter or a tobacco porter.not sure i would do the other ones though.

cheers
big d

actually mine will be non unusual additive free.

big d said:

cocculus indicus-- dried berries of a climbing plant found in malabar and ceylon.used to stupefy fish and in england to increase the intoxicating power of beer and porter.

other adulterants----- opium,indian hemp,strychnine,tobacco,darnel seed,logwood and salts of zinc,lead and alum.

can supply a hemp porter or a tobacco porter.not sure i would do the other ones though.

cheers
big d

[post="85431"][/post]​

I wondered how long the research would take.

I do not want an historically accurate adulterated beer.

A small touch of brett might be ok though.

I don't think any of the Mash Paddles have been simple beers. Why start now.

Steve

How about the hops? I know you mentioned that american hops are a no-no but what about german hops? Or should it only be english hops or you don't care?

big d said:
[post="85431"][/post]​

You don't want to brew a spiced porter, bigd?

For good descriptions on the history of Porter Have a look at "Designing Great Beers" and also "Man walked into a pub". The second is more of a social history of beer, pubs and brewing in the uk. An excellent book though.

sluggerdog said:
How about the hops? I know you mentioned that american hops are a no-no but what about german hops? Or should it only be english hops or you don't care?
[post="85437"][/post]​

From the guidelines Slugger :)

(UK and or some possible European varieties)

Steve

big d said:

cheers
big d

[post="85431"][/post]​

Bet jayse will be lining up to judge this one

Darren said:
big d said:

cheers
big d

[post="85431"][/post]​

Bet jayse will be lining up to judge this one
[post="85456"][/post]​

And will you be interested Darren ??

It will be nice to confirm interest in judging as well as the beer itself so far out from the comp.

Steve

sorry kai but no im not even going to attempt a spiced porter.
you and i both no there is only one master spice brewer in australia.

cheers
big d

Chiller.

Beginning to wonder what you've let yourself in for? :unsure:

Does it have to be black? Does it have to be beer?

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :lol:

Warren -

Back