Brewers Friend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Rod.
The Brewers Friend you refer to is not the Brewers Friend that has been on offer for a few years now.
It's obviously their "polished up" version of Brewmate that they bought off Randy Rob.

If so, and if it is as good as or better than BM then I'm in.

I've used Brewers Friend and gave up on it as it's very difficult to edit ingredients etc.

The version I'm talking about looks like this:

Brewers friend.jpg

As you can see it's not the same animal and is cloud based, as opposed to Brewmate that was stand alone.

If they have made the new version cloud based (so I can design recipes on my PC then take my tablet out to the brauhaus) then that would be excellent.

Is there anything on the site that states whether there are two radically different versions of BF?

Ok I downloaded Brewers Friend for Windows from Rod's link.
It's quite obviously BrewMate front end, and after playing with it, it looks like it connects to the same background databases as Brewers Friend cloud version.

Here's a couple of recipes that I'm building, shown on my desktop side by side.

Brew matefriend 1.jpg

Brew matefriend 2.jpg

Everything seems to work about the same, but note that the malts list comes up by country as in the Cloud version.
Also the calcs seem to be slightly different, so probably using the Cloud version's formulae.

You can also edit the lists which was a PITA when I used the Cloud version.

However the "save" options aren't as good as BrewMate, for example you can't save to a pretty HTML page, or save to a txt file with BB code to insert into a forum post.

For now I'll stick to BM but keep BF for windows in mind.

Thanks for you help

I will download and play with it

Rod

if you want the old version of brewmate to be effectively cloud based - get a free dropbox account and install brewmate in the dropbox folder. your recipes & brewmate settings will then sync on each computer. simples.

Liam ,

if I understand you

get a free dropbox account which I have not used

install Brewer Friend in the drop box account

then Brewmate and Brewers friend will syn , on command after with some sort of set up

Rod

Latest posts

Back