Brewdog - Sink the Bismarck

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubix

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has tried a bottle of Brewdogs, Sink the Bismarck before? I just scored a bottle of this 41% monster and am curious just what to expect and how to best drink it.

Had this with Mr Tyreman who went to Scotland and worked for Brew Dogs for almost two years, he is now brewing at Bright. Anyway, he brought a bunch of various ones back, all I really remember is how much my head hurt the next day......really hurt.

Haha., all good advice. Thanks guys. Shared with mates is definately the way to go. Now to decide which mates make the cut... Lol

Nice enough, if not really beer as we know it. to get much over 20% ABV you are fortifying in some way, which to me isn't strictly "brewing".
The other issue for me is the price, Beer Cartel are quoting $199- for a 330mL bottle, a 750mL bottle of 21 year old single malt scotch can be had for less. I know it doesn't take 21 years to make Sink the Bismarck and I think they are sticking in in a bit too hard.
Mark

Its freeze distilled. Pretty sure they dont fortify it. Brewmiester admitted to fortifying their strong beers though

Expensive gimmick. Hope it lives up to expectations but I'd rather a nice single malt or single cask whisky for the price.
I find brewdog's marketing strategies mostly irritating and wish they'd concentrate on making good beer. It's very 'look at what I done'.

Fortify - is a technical term, it literally means to make stronger, it covers any of the usual methods and some not so usual. Not just limited to adding distilled ethanol to a product.
Would you believe someone tried to patent adding Acrylamide to wine to chemically suck up water and make the wine stronger, while avoiding the tax implication of distilling.
Mark

manticle said:
Expensive gimmick. Hope it lives up to expectations but I'd rather a nice single malt or single cask whisky for the price.
I find brewdog's marketing strategies mostly irritating and wish they'd concentrate on making good beer. It's very 'look at what I done'.
+1 to this

Its lame they are spending their time trying to be soooo different. Just watch their show...

MHB said:
Fortify - is a technical term, it literally means to make stronger, it covers any of the usual methods and some not so usual. Not just limited to adding distilled ethanol to a product.
Would you believe someone tried to patent adding Acrylamide to wine to chemically suck up water and make the wine stronger, while avoiding the tax implication of distilling.
Mark
Hi MHB

There certainly are some interesting patents out there. My favourite is the 2001 application by Mr Keough when he applied to patent the wheel (in Victoria), and it was granted! Though subsequently revoked. This link should lead you to his specifications attached to the application.

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/ols/auspat/pdfSource.do?fileQuery=%81%98%9F%8E%9Bf%98%9F%8E%9BO%8F%92%95%8E%97%8A%96%8Efj%7E%5BYYZZYYYZ%5Bj%5D%5BYY%5BYaYaW%99%8D%8FO%9A%9E%92%8C%94f%8B%9B%98%A0%97

manticle said:
To be fair their "normal" beers are great though. Punk IPA is a great IPA and Dead Pony is a great session beer. Unlike Brewmeister, who make shit beers, Brewdog at least have some good beers to back up the gimmicks.

Nothing wrong with their general range (not my favourite beers but they're fine).
I'm totally put off by the marketing though. Nothing punk about it (unless you consider mclaren punk).

I had a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin a couple of years ago. I found the alcohol flavour dominant and overwhelming. Wouldn't bother again.

Latest posts

Back