Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter2468

Reaction score
I am putting down the Brewcraft Mexican cerveza with the no 15 (500g dextrose 250g corn syrup and 250g malt) it comes with dried enzime. The HBS told me that the enzime brakes down the non fermentable sugars so the yeast can eat them is this true? they also said it will be 6% dose that sound right to you guys? or should I add more dextrose? and finely has any one tried this brew? is it any good?

What your HBS man tells you is true. It'll make your beer "Low carb" too if you care about that. I make a similar beer and it's pretty strong! I had double vision after a few jugs.

In my latest one I put a 500g of "rice extract" in it and it was really tasty :)

Caution with the dry enzime Peter. I've tried a couple of times with it and my first go I bottled it to early, so boom. The FG was alright and didn't change over two days so I though it was ok to bottle but the dry enzime must have kept eating the non-fermentables. The second time I use it the bubble lock kept going for ages after the FG had settled. So I guess same thing. Now I keg so no need to worry about this anymore and I also do a secondary ferment. I could be wrong but this is just my experience. I don't think they were infected as I am super cautious with sanitation and they tasted ok (first brew type good).

Could try nottingham yeast - it'll eat just about anything in my experience. I have a 6.9% @ FG 1.002 IPA on my hands, quite by accident, as it just at all the sugar from the malt I had. The calcs said it should have been 5.5% at 1.012.

Notts will be my choice of yeast for summer beers, as I don't need extra cane sugar to either thin out the body or increase the fermentation.

Just a thought. ^_^

What your HBS man tells you is true. It'll make your beer "Low carb" too if you care about that. I make a similar beer and it's pretty strong! I had double vision after a few jugs.

In my latest one I put a 500g of "rice extract" in it and it was really tasty :)
Cool I will just stick to the standard sugars it sounds like it will be strong enough. I don't care about low carb I have a wife so no need to impress the ladies any more i'm working on my beer gut these days.

Caution with the dry enzime Peter. I've tried a couple of times with it and my first go I bottled it to early, so boom. The FG was alright and didn't change over two days so I though it was ok to bottle but the dry enzime must have kept eating the non-fermentables. The second time I use it the bubble lock kept going for ages after the FG had settled. So I guess same thing. Now I keg so no need to worry about this anymore and I also do a secondary ferment. I could be wrong but this is just my experience. I don't think they were infected as I am super cautious with sanitation and they tasted ok (first brew type good).
I have read a few posts on the forum about the FG dropping as low as 999. So I am going to just take my time with this one, cheers for the heads up.

Hate to be a doom sayer but at 1.002 I reckon you've got more than just Nottingham eating those sugars.
Could try nottingham yeast - it'll eat just about anything in my experience. I have a 6.9% @ FG 1.002 IPA on my hands, quite by accident, as it just at all the sugar from the malt I had. The calcs said it should have been 5.5% at 1.012.

Notts will be my choice of yeast for summer beers, as I don't need extra cane sugar to either thin out the body or increase the fermentation.

Just a thought. ^_^

Hate to be a doom sayer but at 1.002 I reckon you've got more than just Nottingham eating those sugars.

I'm pretty sure my hydrometer is quite a few points out. It's a dodgy supermarket one, and read another beer's OG at even less, yet the beer has more flavour and body than the hydrometer indicates.

However the difference between the two readings is still correct.

4 sure that Japanese Blonde Rice Malt is GREAT, I use it all the time! :super:

I found that when making low carb/ super dry beers the Liquid low carb enzyme worked better.
It completes fementation only a day or two longer. Compaired wth the dry stuff taking a week longer in the primary. :blink:

Back