Brewcraft Cerveza Sg Too High?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B2Brew

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can assist please?

My OG was 1040, however my current SG is 1022 and appears to be stable.

I put down the Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza kit 6 days ago using Salflager W-34/70 yeast (11.5 grams)and the dry enyme (3 grams) which comes with the kit.

Temp has been pretty good throughout, ranging from 12-16 degrees (receommend temp for W-34/70 yeast is 9-15 (ideally 10-13))

My hydrometer is OK with 1000, or thereabouts, in plain old H2O.

Is my SG too high for bottling? What should I expect it to be and how can I get it there?

Thanks for any advice Guys!!!

Bryce

I'm hoping someone can assist please?

My OG was 1040, however my current SG is 1022 and appears to be stable.

I put down the Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza kit 6 days ago using Salflager W-34/70 yeast (11.5 grams)and the dry enyme (3 grams) which comes with the kit.

Temp has been pretty good throughout, ranging from 12-16 degrees (receommend temp for W-34/70 yeast is 9-15 (ideally 10-13))

My hydrometer is OK with 1000, or thereabouts, in plain old H2O.

Is my SG too high for bottling? What should I expect it to be and how can I get it there?

Thanks for any advice Guys!!!

Bryce

Bryce, 6 days for that particular yeast does not seem long enough at all. Consecutive readings over a couple of days will tell regarding bottling. Give the fermenter a gentle swirl/shake, have a beer and be patient.
Cheers

Bryce, 6 days for that particular yeast does not seem long enough at all. Consecutive readings over a couple of days will tell regarding bottling. Give the fermenter a gentle swirl/shake, have a beer and be patient.
Cheers

You could try warming it up a few degrees, you should probably do it soon anyway for a couple of days diacetyl rest.

Thanks Haysie! - I've given the wort a swirl/shake. Should I at somke stage expect bubbles to pass through the airlock periodically (suggesting fermentation occuring) or does it not really matter at this point?

Cheers, Bryce

Cheers

Thanks Haysie! - I've given the wort a swirl/shake. Should I at somke stage expect bubbles to pass through the airlock periodically (suggesting fermentation occuring) or does it not really matter at this point?

Cheers, Bryce

Supposing all is air tight, yes you should expect some activity albeit probably very slow. With a OG Of 1040 and a current of 1022 you have a fair way to go. I used this yeast once > 3 weeks @10deg, become impatient and bottled, result was undrinkable gushers/bombs. Did you proof the yeast before pitching? have you got more yeast you can pitch?. Having purchased from Brewcraft a long time ago, a lot of their ingredients are not fresh by a long way, especially hops, although the Fermentis yeast will have a best before date.
ASs Afromaiko suggests, you could try raise the temp? i would suggest leave for a another week and then have a look, its a slow yeast.

OK, thanks Haysie and Afromaiko - I'll see how it goes over the next week having given it a swirl and raised the temp. If that fails to lower the SG I'll grab some more yeast. Perhaps the yeast I used was a little dodgy; time will tell!

Fingers crossed I end up with a beautiful, refreshing Corona for the warmer months

Thanks again

Supposing all is air tight, yes you should expect some activity albeit probably very slow. With a OG Of 1040 and a current of 1022 you have a fair way to go. I used this yeast once > 3 weeks @10deg, become impatient and bottled, result was undrinkable gushers/bombs. Did you proof the yeast before pitching? have you got more yeast you can pitch?. Having purchased from Brewcraft a long time ago, a lot of their ingredients are not fresh by a long way, especially hops, although the Fermentis yeast will have a best before date.
ASs Afromaiko suggests, you could try raise the temp? i would suggest leave for a another week and then have a look, its a slow yeast.

Thanks buttersd70

Don't rely on the airlock for anything, ever. (I will not rant, I will not rant... :unsure: )
6 days for this yeast is nothing at all. I would be surprised if primary was completed in less than 14-21 days.
Hydro readings over consecutive days is fine, normally. With a strain that is as slow as this one, I would change that advice, though. Personally, I think 3 hydro readings the same, with 48-72 hours between readings. You don't get a lot of shift in the lower end over 24hrs with this strain.

Lager requires 6 main things. Patience. Aeration. Patience. Patience. Temperature. Sanitation. In that order.

Also, you did not pitch enough yeast, so It will have been very slow to start with anyway. 34/70 requires a pitch rate of 1g/L, ie 2x11.5g packs for a 23L batch.
Given how far its gone already, I wouldn't bother pitching anymore unless the grav fails to drop over the next 6 days, cos you're already well past 1 lifecycle.

Well after a few swirls and a little patience (just over a weeks worth) the SG has dropped from the 1022 to 1004 and appears to be pretty stable (has been 1004 for 3-days now). Consequently I'm off to the local brew shop for some sterilising liquid so I can bottle.

Thanks for the advice Guys. I have a good feeling about this one!! :icon_cheers:

Thanks buttersd70

i kegged a brewcraft cerevza about 2 weeks ago carbed it.... ETC used dry enzyme with s-23. and lager enhancer

one of the worst beers i have ever brewed..... may be the dry enzyme but im not to sure would be a hell of alot better without the dry enzyme.
the FG droped far to low giving it that realy Alcho taste.

cheers stevee.

Latest posts

Back