Agave Cerveza!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
Found some Agave syrup today which i am determined to experiment with in a mexican cerveza style beer, also picked up sum cheap coopers kit stuff the other day at the Big W, had a sale on and i couldnt resist hehe! so the recipie so far consists of...

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit
500g LME
500g 'loving earth' Light Agave Syrup
Saflager w34/70

The ingredients say that it is entirely organic agave syrup, it's 98% carbohydrate, but...my problem is alike honey it has a high level frucose (56%- 92% i read on wikipedia) and i don't want the beer tastin real sweet after the ferment so i was wondering if i should invert it with a little citric acid (possibly taking away all the flavour) by boil, using a yeast nutrient (i havent used one before so could i get a little advice on how they work and what they do exactly), or any other pointers would be much appreciated!

Not sure about everything else, but I can help you with the yeast nutrient.

Boil up the yeast packet from the kit for 5 - 10 minutes.

There you go! Yeast nutrient!

Not sure about everything else, but I can help you with the yeast nutrient.

Boil up the yeast packet from the kit for 5 - 10 minutes.

There you go! Yeast nutrient!

cheers, so this will break down more comlex sugars? and does it produce any weird flavours etc?

The perfect meat for a human to eat is human meat - it has all the required nutrients conincidentally in the perfect ratios.

While I'm not endorcing cannibalism, making your yeast do it is a fine way to give them everything they need.

I'd be going the agave in the secondary to make sure you get the flavour. then again i have no idea of what it tastes like, just a gut feel.

ummm Nick have you been sniffing glue or something?

ive just re-read your post again and get the reference. soorry i retract my confused question.

I'd be going the agave in the secondary to make sure you get the flavour. then again i have no idea of what it tastes like, just a gut feel.

ummm Nick have you been sniffing glue or something?

Yeah dude sounds like a good idea, and btw the flavour is like honey but even sweeter and a slight aroma and taste of fruit! Its fairly different kinda stuff, can't wait to see what the results end up like!

One thing though, if im adding the stuff to secondary should i add the nutrient (boiled yeast packet) to primary or secondary guys?

well yeast nutrient only helps the yeast eat the sugars (ie honey, high gravity beers etc). so it wont neccesarily get rid of the weetness persay.yes sweetness would dissapear by virtue of there not being as much unfermented honey/agave left.

i recon there will be enough nutrients in the brew, but it wont hurt to add it. i'd add to secondary.

You won't really need any yeast nutrient. There will be enough FAN with what you have there.

Hey does anyone know what hops are used in corona, and if not what would complement the beer above!?!

I seen some agave syrup in my local fresh market today, how did you go with this???

Back