Brew Wont Seal....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
Hi :icon_cheers:

Im using a large bucket that has a great lid that seals ok
I drilled a hole in the lid placed a gromet in the hole
placed in an air lock also
put water in it
Im currently brewing a pale ale
I made the brew as standard.
The wort was 26 deg when i added the yeast

There is only small bubbles in the air lock so far after two days

bit worried......

thanks guys again

I'd give it another day, then take a gravity reading. If the gravity hasn't budged, then you might have had a bad pack of yeast. It's not unusual for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, especially if it's been sitting in a warehouse or shop for a while.

If the gravity has dropped, then you're fermenting fine, and probably have a leak somewhere. It really doesn't take much of a leak to stop an air lock from bubbling. It should be fine if that's the case. The positive pressure in the fermenter should keep the nasties out.

Hey Keef,

Bubbles or not through the airlock your brew is prob fermenting. I've had no bubbles and the brew fermented fine. Same as you i drilled a hole and popped in grommet for the airlock. Possible places of leakage could be through this hole or the airlock itself is usually injection moulded in two parts and has a seam down the side which can cause a separation from the grommet walls and be a source of leakage.

Take SG readings, if they are falling then it is definately fermenting. If u dont have a hydrometer look for the other signs such as the krausen forming and the ring of gunk being deposited on the sides above the wort.

The brew is fine.

Cheers :beer:

I'd give it another day, then take a gravity reading. If the gravity hasn't budged, then you might have had a bad pack of yeast. It's not unusual for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, especially if it's been sitting in a warehouse or shop for a while.

If the gravity has dropped, then you're fermenting fine, and probably have a leak somewhere. It really doesn't take much of a leak to stop an air lock from bubbling. It should be fine if that's the case. The positive pressure in the fermenter should keep the nasties out.
Thanks Mark for the advice.
This sydney weather is strange also at the moment Its hard doing ales this time of year especially when one day is 24 the next 35 strange.
Thanks again/

Hey Keef,

Bubbles or not through the airlock your brew is prob fermenting. I've had no bubbles and the brew fermented fine. Same as you i drilled a hole and popped in grommet for the airlock. Possible places of leakage could be through this hole or the airlock itself is usually injection moulded in two parts and has a seam down the side which can cause a separation from the grommet walls and be a source of leakage.

Take SG readings, if they are falling then it is definately fermenting. If u dont have a hydrometer look for the other signs such as the krausen forming and the ring of gunk being deposited on the sides above the wort.

The brew is fine.

Cheers :beer:
Thanks for the psoitive feedback, so it might not be the end of the world for my ale. Ill get a reading on it and monitor the surface.
Thanks heaps for the advice, best regards.

Next batch, ditch the lid and airlock, and cover it with glad wrap and the o ring from the lid.

Gives a good view, and all stays nice and sterile.

Here's a thread I started when starting my last batch.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=18293

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Thnak you for the comment. I was just reading a forum post on the glad wrap idea sounds great. Im a chef so it makes perfect sence.
I will try the glad wrap next brew for sure thankyou for the link also

Back