Brew To Bottle In 3 Weeks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Hi guys

After taking my non beer drinker parents to Bridge Rd and them loving the passionfruity Pale Ale I am going to try and brew up something like it as a special "anniversary Ale" for their 50th wedding anniversary.

Normally I primary for 1 week, secondary for another and then a few weeks at least to carbonate up in the bottles.

The trouble is it is in just over 3 weeks. So I was thinking of trying to speed up my process a bit to try and get it ready in time.

How does 1 week fermenting at 20degrees. Then instead of secondary to clear up I will filter into a keg. Give it a week on the fridge to to chill and carbonate. Then I will bottle fill from the carbonated keg a few days before the event?

My questions for you guys are.

Do you see any issues trying to rush the process this way?
How does this recipe sound as a reasonable Pale Ale with a nice passionfruit taste?
Any other advice?

I have called this one PassionFruit Bridge as a nod to the beer they liked at Bridge Rd.

Passionfruit Bridge (Australian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.0 (EBC): 7.8
Bitterness (IBU): 26.2 (Average)

75% Pale Ale Malt
17.5% Wheat Malt
5% Flaked Wheat
2.5% Munich I

0.2 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Have you bottled out of a keg before? Is it possible to get even carbonation without a counter pressure bottle filler?

If it were me, i'd do things differently. I'd ferment for 12 days, cold crash for 2-4, filter to keg and then bottle the day before the event. I like giving my yeast a chance to mop up any unwanted flavours in the primary. For a normal strength beer, 12 days is pretty safe assuming good yeast health.

I use the ross method for carbonation, by the way. 40 seconds of shaking at 300 kpa. It's not fully carbonated after that, but it's very close. A few days at serving pressure will get it there no problems.

I've regularly carbed up bottles in about a week. You just need to keep them in a warm place and tip / shake them all twice a day. Bit of a chore but I've got comp medals to prove it. Don't worry about keeping them at say 25 degrees, the flavours are pretty well locked in now and you won't skunk the brew. Chill them all down two days before the event and they should clear nicely.

I'd skip the keg and just bottle after a fortnight at the latest, provided of course that the ferment was uneventful and is complete (i.e. FG and stable). Then leave them on top of the electric hot water system if you have one inside? Alternatively, in an insulated box or esky with a hot water bottle now and then to keep the temp up. As per Bribie, if you're not bulk priming then flip them to begin with and be sure that priming sugar is not accumulating in the bottom of the bottle, that's one sure way to make sure bottled beer is undercarbed!

Hi guys

After taking my non beer drinker parents to Bridge Rd and them loving the passionfruity Pale Ale I am going to try and brew up something like it as a special "anniversary Ale" for their 50th wedding anniversary.

Normally I primary for 1 week, secondary for another and then a few weeks at least to carbonate up in the bottles.

The trouble is it is in just over 3 weeks. So I was thinking of trying to speed up my process a bit to try and get it ready in time.

How does 1 week fermenting at 20degrees. Then instead of secondary to clear up I will filter into a keg. Give it a week on the fridge to to chill and carbonate. Then I will bottle fill from the carbonated keg a few days before the event?

My questions for you guys are.

Do you see any issues trying to rush the process this way?
How does this recipe sound as a reasonable Pale Ale with a nice passionfruit taste?
Any other advice?

I have called this one PassionFruit Bridge as a nod to the beer they liked at Bridge Rd.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.0 (EBC): 7.8
Bitterness (IBU): 26.2 (Average)

75% Pale Ale Malt
17.5% Wheat Malt
5% Flaked Wheat
2.5% Munich I

0.2 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.2 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

That recipe looks great, going to try it myself. Just wondering how you calc the grams of hops per litres? Is pre boil volume or end volume? I

Love the recipe, but I would swap the 60 minute galaxy for cascade or Citra (and adjust quantities to hold the IBU).

Galaxy can get a little harsh with 60 minute addions, whereas I find cascade lots softer and Citra to be a good bitterer without harshness.

Looks very similar to my Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale (or the Viscount is Truly Dead version - no Nelson Sauvin).

Thanks for the replies.when I get home tonight I will update brewmate and repost the recipe with the following changes.

Flaked wheat is now torrified wheat (thats all I could get from g& g)
60 minute session its now 5g of citra
5g of galaxy at flame out.

I will go straight to bottle, put the on top oid the kitchen cupboards and turn them every couple if days.

Brewing tonight...

Id also be throwing more galaxy at it if you really wanted passionfruit.

Just my 2c though

Sponge

So here is the final recipe. all done and in the fermenter chilling in the tub. Just waiting for it to get to pitching temp.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (expected)
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1
Bitterness (IBU): 29.0 (Average)

3 kg Pale Ale Malt
700 g Wheat Malt
200 g Torrified Wheat
100 g Munich I

5g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
8g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
10g Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
10g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
10g Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10g Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

I would let it ferment out and force carb in the keg.

They will only have one 50th wedding anniversary and you do not want them to remember it as the time they had bad homebrew.

Will not take any longer to bottle good beer from the keg then green beer from the fermentor.

Plus you get the chance to taste it before you take it all to the party and serve it.

I am sure you have a reason for bottles. Why not serve it out of the keg?

Back