Brew Time Calculator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefeffect

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any calculator software or a formula for approx time to ferment a brew depending on OG yeast strain and fermentation temperature?

EDIT: The reason for this is I was wanting to brew a lager at 6 deg only in primary and was wondering how long it would take?

I am not aware of any software or formulas for what you want, AFAIK you will struggle to get any yeast working too well at 6c, and if it does it would probably take weeks(3-4) to ferment.
I may be wrong but I would be looking for an extra 2 degrees at least.

Does anyone know of any calculator software or a formula for approx time to ferment a brew depending on OG yeast strain and fermentation temperature?

EDIT: The reason for this is I was wanting to brew a lager at 6 deg only in primary and was wondering how long it would take?

Not quite that simple.

There are more factors that would affect fermentation time besides OG and temp.
Wort fermentability which is influenced by your mash temp would obviously give you a different set of parameters to work with. Not sure it would be possible to give anything close to an accurate guestimation of ferment time.
What yeast are you planning on using @ 6deg???? You could always use whatever yeast you want and ferment a batch. Atleast you'd have your answer.

6deg though, that's pretty bloody cold to ferment. Don't know if any yeasts even work that low...

Not quite that simple.

There are more factors that would affect fermentation time besides OG and temp.
Wort fermentability which is influenced by your mash temp would obviously give you a different set of parameters to work with. Not sure it would be possible to give anything close to an accurate guestimation of ferment time.
What yeast are you planning on using @ 6deg???? You could always use whatever yeast you want and ferment a batch. Atleast you'd have your answer.

6deg though, that's pretty bloody cold to ferment. Don't know if any yeasts even work that low...

Yeah I knew there would be more factors I just thought there maybe some formula out there? The only reason I was thinking of 6 degs is because I had read somewhere (of course I cant remember) that you can brew lagers as low at 2 deg?? and wanted to give it a crack at 6deg as I am going on holidays for 4 weeks and thought it would be a good time to try, and maybe 4 weeks at 6 degs would work? Anyways just a thought.

Yeah I knew there would be more factors I just thought there maybe some formula out there? The only reason I was thinking of 6 degs is because I had read somewhere (of course I cant remember) that you can brew lagers as low at 2 deg?? and wanted to give it a crack at 6deg as I am going on holidays for 4 weeks and thought it would be a good time to try, and maybe 4 weeks at 6 degs would work? Anyways just a thought.

I know this won't help you much for this batch if you are away on holidays, but for future reference, most lagers will take 4 weeks or thereabouts for primary, and conditioning phases of fermentation.
And this is at what is generally considered standard lager fermentation - closer to 12degrees (depending on the strain).
Not sure i see any benefit from fermenting at 6deg.

A typical lager fermentation for me (usually w34/70) is two to three weeks in primary, then condition for 1 week at 2deg. Longer if i'm not in a hurry, but seriously, a month tying up my fridge with one beer usually means i'm in a rush.

Back