Brew Stand Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This has probably been covered off multiple times before, so I apologize in advance.

I'm looking at making some sort of brew stand to accomodate my evolving brewery. I can't really progress forward without sorting out some sort of stand.

I'm no handyman at all, and have no idea how to weld, so that is unfortunately not an option.

Can the shelving/racking they sell at bunnings be hybridized into a stable, though temporary brew stand?

If so, can anyone help me assemble it? ;)

if you have a look in the gear quipment, you'll find people who have used the bolt together rails and that seems to work well.

if you have a look in the gear quipment, you'll find people who have used the bolt together rails and that seems to work well.
+1

search for 'metal mate'. or 'slotted metal'. cut to size and bolt together. there are pics of Maple's and mine in the gear equip thread and ive got a few in my pic albums

Hi guys,

This has probably been covered off multiple times before, so I apologize in advance.

I'm looking at making some sort of brew stand to accomodate my evolving brewery. I can't really progress forward without sorting out some sort of stand.

I'm no handyman at all, and have no idea how to weld, so that is unfortunately not an option.

Can the shelving/racking they sell at bunnings be hybridized into a stable, though temporary brew stand?

If so, can anyone help me assemble it? ;)

Here's my super-ghetto system made up from cheap no bolt bunnings shelves... involves a bit of lifting though. Does ok...

IMG_0416.jpg

look into slotted angle for a no weld solution better than mine. Had a look at costs, came in about $250+ off the shelf for a 3V single tier on castors.

My father in law saw it and immediately offered to weld up a brew stand... showed him franko's and he said, "no problems, give me the dimensions and i'll put something together" Sweeet... :beerbang: and he's a plumber too, reckon's he'll be able to source most of the stainless gear and the march pump.

really? $250. mine was like $100 of less. built on a budget. It would have costed me more to source the metal to weld one together (I can weld). If yove got the metal then yeah weld away, if not then I recon the slotted metal is a cheap easy way.

or you can keep an eye out for computer mainframe racks and butcher one of them

edit: nice looking rig though.

Nice rig under the 'Queenslander there, I like the Bucket of Death held up with a bit of string :icon_cheers:
Looks good, great result on the welding/plumbing help, my hints to the family are going nowhere, shouldn't have married into a family of accountants and IT types!

Nice rig under the 'Queenslander there, I like the Bucket of Death held up with a bit of string :icon_cheers:
Looks good, great result on the welding/plumbing help, my hints to the family are going nowhere, shouldn't have married into a family of accountants and IT types!

I have the same issues. My family are all IT and Electrical Engineers. I start mentioning a brew rig, and they start arguing about the best microprocessor to use for full automation.

I think it may have stunted my emotionally as a child...

really? $250. mine was like $100 of less. built on a budget. It would have costed me more to source the metal to weld one together (I can weld). If yove got the metal then yeah weld away, if not then I recon the slotted metal is a cheap easy way.

or you can keep an eye out for computer mainframe racks and butcher one of them

edit: nice looking rig though.

well looks like i'll be going back to bunnings and havinga second look then... $100 for a frame sounds really good. As you said even a hard welded solution would cost more

I like the Bucket of Death held up with a bit of string

errr... :blink: not sure what you're at there. The electric HLT is sitting on the shelf... no strings and skyhooks in my brewery
:icon_cheers:

argon - I posted somewhere that it cost me $80. 6 x1.8m lengths @ ~$13. I might have bought an extra pack of bolts for $6. but thats still under $100.

I cant actually find the thread with the brew stand

argon - I posted somewhere that it cost me $80. 6 x1.8m lengths @ ~$13. I might have bought an extra pack of bolts for $6. but thats still under $100.

Thanks mate i'll have a search around too... pretty sure i saw a post and photos a little while back about someone using slotted angle for a rig... looked like a really good option. Especially for flexibility.

I'm having a look here and the prices seem pretty close to what you're saying. They're near me and they cut to size too.

You've got me all keen to put something together now. :D

Edit: here's some links

link 1 - Unistrut For Brew Frame?

link 2 - Maple's frame

Mine was just less than $200 ($100 in RHS, $50 for casters and $40 for heat resistant paint), I saw yours and was going to do that but then a bit of manipulation (me -> can I borrow your mig, how do you weld, bro -> just bring it over) I got the welding done.

Thanks mate i'll have a search around too... pretty sure i saw a post and photos a little while back about someone using slotted angle for a rig... looked like a really good option. Especially for flexibility.

I'm having a look here and the prices seem pretty close to what you're saying. They're near me and they cut to size too.

You've got me all keen to put something together now. :D

Edit: here's some links

link 1 - Unistrut For Brew Frame?

link 2 - Maple's frame
yeah i made mine using Maples frame as the plan. I made mine a bit longer and wider. angle grinder to cut the lengths. spanner/socket wrench and your good to go.

Mine was just less than $200 ($100 in RHS, $50 for casters and $40 for heat resistant paint), I saw yours and was going to do that but then a bit of manipulation (me -> can I borrow your mig, how do you weld, bro -> just bring it over) I got the welding done.
i was cheap and bought cheap castors. no heat resistant paint. i just let the mongolian burn away at it. I probably should use some paint. but hey....

yeah i made mine using Maples frame as the plan. I made mine a bit longer and wider. angle grinder to cut the lengths. spanner/socket wrench and your good to go.

i was cheap and bought cheap castors. no heat resistant paint. i just let the mongolian burn away at it. I probably should use some paint. but hey....

yeah had a quick look at you album showing the stand... nice setup. Now how to sneak the 6foot lengths into the garage :ph34r:

OT... but is that kettle two kegs welded on top of each other?... Would love to do that

yeah had a quick look at you album showing the stand... nice setup. Now how to sneak the 6foot lengths into the garage :ph34r:

OT... but is that kettle two kegs welded on top of each other?... Would love to do that
yeah mate the kettle is 2 x 50L kegs welded together. holds about 80L. probably a little more. prob 90L. just need to upgrade the tun at some stage. its only 50L.

but at least i made the frame big enough and strong enough to cope with hevaier equiopment than i currently have. future proof baby!

My prayers have been more than answered. Thanks a heap guys! I now have the inspiration to go out and create the Best Darned Brew Stand known to man.

Then I can forget about this particular side track, and concentrate on my brewing skills.

Although I am currently trying to emulate MXD's Jedi Mind Trick on a welding buddy...

yeah mate the kettle is 2 x 50L kegs welded together. holds about 80L. probably a little more. prob 90L. just need to upgrade the tun at some stage. its only 50L.

but at least i made the frame big enough and strong enough to cope with hevaier equiopment than i currently have. future proof baby!

excellent....

montgomery_burns_700445_0.gif

father in law will be doing a spot more welding then

Dropped into Bunnings over the weekend for another look at the slotted angle... $11.98 each for 1800mm lengths.
so 6 lengths for total $71.88... that's the black coated stuff too.

So yeah... i reckon i'd get away with under a hundred for a mobile rig... sweet

Back