Brew Stand Building Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shandy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just getting back into more regular brewing and to get things going smoothly I'm finally going to invest in a basic brew stand. ATM I only want a basic stand for my boiler mainly because right now it's all I have room for. The problem is that I have no welding skills or idea where to get the materials which is presumably just some light box steel.

Does anybody know of somewhere in Melbourne, preferably in the inner south or bayside area that can weld something up for me?

Thanks

Shandy

I'm in the same position. I know there are heaps of steel suppliers in Moorabbin. I've used Moorabbin Steel before. They'll cut lengths for you too.
If you track down a welder that is reasonable let me know.
Mr W

Bunnings have 5mm angle iron in various lengths, but it's far from the most cost effective way to buy it. Plus, you'd need to cut it yourself.

How complex a brewstand are you looking to build?

You could just bolt it together first, then get it welded for additional stability at a later time.

I did mine using the slotted angle available from bunning's. I too have no welding skills and put mine together with a socket set in about 90mins.
post-11186-1318546195_thumb.jpg

edit: All up, including the castors, cost about $100. It's pretty litghtweight but very stable. I can add to it and is easily adjustable.

I did mine using the slotted angle available from bunning's. I too have no welding skills and put mine together with a socket set in about 90mins.
post-11186-1318546195_thumb.jpg

edit: All up, including the castors, cost about $100. It's pretty litghtweight but very stable. I can add to it and is easily adjustable.

Looks good Argon. How did you mount your burner into that, and how did you cut the lengths? Do you have any larger images of it?

preferably in the inner south or bayside area that can weld something up for me?
Shandy

If you have the steel and the design in your head I have a welder/grinder etc and would happily help you with your build one fine sat or sun if that helps..

I do some 'reasonable welding' and I taught SWMBO to weld in about 30 mins..

Yob

Go here, where i posted it before and click on the image to open a bigger image that shows how i underlsung the Rambo burner on another shelf made out of the slotted section.

Have a look at Maple's Brewstand and Jase's Brewstand for some more info.

Edit: i just bought half a dozen bits of the standard 1800mm stuff IIRC, which equals the length of the brewstand. Used 4 for the horizontals then cut the rest up with a grinder for the shorter sections. You can buy the shorter sections individually if you don't want to cut. But cutting them saved me $10-$15.

Go here, where i posted it before and click on the image to open a bigger image that shows how i underlsung the Rambo burner on another shelf made out of the slotted section.

Edit: i just bought half a dozen bits of the standard 1800mm stuff IIRC, which equals the length of the brewstand. Used 4 for the horizontals then cut the rest up with a grinder for the shorter sections. You can buy the shorter sections individually if you don't want to cut. But cutting them saved me $10-$15.

That's the stuff, easy to piece together, and you can engineer it anyway you want. Mine is still going strong after almost 3 years of service.

If you have the steel and the design in your head I have a welder/grinder etc and would happily help you with your build one fine sat or sun if that helps..

Yob
So what you're saying is:

"Come around, I'll give you a hand, shandy."

And that, kids, is why punctuation is so very, very important :lol:

Sorry, been wanting to use that one all morning.

That looks like the way for me to go. Easy to configure, collapse and change. Thanks for the help and references.

Yob

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to go with the slotted angle for ease. If that falls apart and fails I'll get right back to you though :)

Also here to help mate, im a bit further away, but the weldings good and the labours cheap :)

what about timber?? here is mine it aint finished but done a brew on the weekend. Strong as prob stronger then a steel one. Got a bit to do on it everything I do seems to make another job :p

gallery_13706_825_572531.jpg

Dexion is slotted angle (much stronger than the Bunnings stuff) & is usually available new & second-hand from shelving companies. Very adjustable & easy to use.

TP

Back