Brew Rig Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we have priced some 500mm conicals from Toledo Spinning, if your interested i could send you some info. They would still need legs and tanks welded to them..

Yeah, I'm interested... How will you do the jacketing? One conical inside another i guess?

I was not going to have them double wall just have them in a temp controlled room, too much work building them otherwise.

I don't have the space for a cool room. And already have some gear I can use for doing the liquid cooling. So jacketing is really the only option at the moment.

I don't have the space for a cool room. And already have some gear I can use for doing the liquid cooling. So jacketing is really the only option at the moment.

well you could always have a stainless coil welded inside the cone and run coolant through it.

Jonathon, Im filling the MLT with hot water and add caustic soda to it (3% solution), then connect the MLT to the pump, to the plate heat exchanger and back via sparg arm into the MLT. Leave it recirculating for 30min, turn the stirrer to its highest speed, so the caustic splashes to everywhere.
After that, pump the hot caustic into the HLT and from there to where ever you need it.

After all, do the same with hot citric acid. Citric acid is not meant as a cleaner, it removes the film that caustic soda leaves on the surface of the gear and neutralizes some remaining leach.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

I like it Zwickel,
Can you get liquid caustic?

Hey Jonathon, I'm wondering about the rubber seals on your heating elements leaching flavour into the wort during the boil

I'm looking at a similar setup and wanted to know if it would be an issue...

Nice setup by the way :)

Hey Jonathon, I'm wondering about the rubber seals on your heating elements leaching flavour into the wort during the boil

I'm looking at a similar setup and wanted to know if it would be an issue...

Nice setup by the way :)

L_Bomb

I have used these same elements on my previous setup and never noticed any rubbery flavors.
A lot of other guys on here also use them maybe they have?
I would be very surprised if it was at all noticeable?

Cheers .
Jono

Thanks Jono

Where did you source yours from? Ive found some on ebay for $38 delivered... I'll have to go 1.8kW as I'm 10 amp limited :(

I get mine from a local electrical wholesaler 4.8kw's are around $50..
$38 for a 1.8kw sounds about right.

something to consider though is the cleaning solution your using and how this reacts to the rubber and also the actual element. I was chatting to a guy at stokes and he said the element should be at least SS if your using caustic cleaners etc.

something to consider though is the cleaning solution your using and how this reacts to the rubber and also the actual element. I was chatting to a guy at stokes and he said the element should be at least SS if your using caustic cleaners etc.

Good point! hmm, might be worth giving stokes a call i think , cheers Hock.

So been busy tacking Skid together, all the tanks are mounted nice and solid now. Next is to run the 16 air lines from the solenoid block to the valves.

Frm.jpg

HX.jpg

Cheers..

Thats looking great!

Do you think march pumps will be big enough?

I hate waiting for mine to transfer and i only make 50 liters in a go.

cheers

Edit............ i guess a march pump at full throttle in your system is like mine throttled back with a ball valve in mine so should be fine.

Thats looking great!

Do you think march pumps will be big enough?

I hate waiting for mine to transfer and i only make 50 liters in a go.

cheers

Edit............ i guess a march pump at full throttle in your system is like mine throttled back with a ball valve in mine so should be fine.

Tony that's a question I can only answer once its up and running, I do have my doubts though, especially with the one for the kettle whirlpool. Myabe there will a couple of very new March 809's going cheap!!

Mate i doubt it will wirlpool that moster you've built. I dont have enough confidence in their flow rate to wirlpool 50 liters.

Not that it maters as i draw fron the center bottom anyway.

Have you considered a FB in the kettle as aposed to wirlpool. Mine holds up hop pellets no problems and drains every last drop. As long as flow is slow and steady it works great.

Im trying to get my hands on a carlton vessel to have its base welded into the base of my 18 gallon keg to replace the grand canyon in it. I can then put a False Bottom in it and drain it like my smaller 50 liter kettle.

cheers

Havent come across this thread before, and WOW, what a setup.

I am one of those herortics that doesnt sparge, pump or chill , but that is one great looking brewery, and full of SS bling.

None of that dull aluminium rubbish :ph34r:

I was going to have a hop stopper of sorts but a full falsie would be a pain to clean, the idea is to have a fully automated brew, no manual intervention at all, so i want to be able to wash out the trub automatically.

well you could always have a stainless coil welded inside the cone and run coolant through it.

Jonathon,

Suggest you get some Solar tubing to adhere to the tank and pumps some water through it

This is my version

Pumpy

Fementer_cooler.JPG

Havent come across this thread before, and WOW, what a setup.

I am one of those herortics that doesnt sparge, pump or chill , but that is one great looking brewery, and full of SS bling.

None of that dull aluminium rubbish :ph34r:

And you have more than likely produced a lot more beer than me mate, keep it simple i say or its a long time between home brews. :icon_cheers:

Back