Brew not fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
I had the perfect brew day last Saturday with my grainfather.
Brewed a DSGA hit 1041 post boil into the sanitised brewbucket at 24c in with the us05 and into the fermentation fridge at 18c
36 hours later no airlock activity
Don't panic I read however by Tuesday no krausen just floaties
Sanitised mash paddle gave it a stir and by yesterday still nothing
Pitched us05 again different brand and tonight still no bubbling and no krausen
Gravity now at 1005????

Any suggestions welcome

Sounds like it fermented out to me. Maybe you just had a really calm fermentation. What's it taste like? Airlock activity means nothing, really. Ignore it.

Thanks for the reply
What I find weird is
No krausen
Low FG
Brew bucket is airtight because when I push down on the lid the stars an in airlock moves

Agree with Rocker. Taste and if your beer is beer like, you've done good. Proceed as usual with bottling or kegging or whatever your method is for carbonation.

That's not necessarily an indication that the fermenter is airtight. My airlock never bubbled at all when I used it due to a dodgy seal somewhere in the setup, but I could get it to move by squeezing the sides of the fermenter. Was there any condensation on the lid?

No krausen is weird, but probably not unheard of. Low FG may be due to mash temp? If it got infected though, you should be able to taste it.

Tastes ok no off flavours or smells
Looks OK in the fermenter
Full of floaties but I guess it hasn't settled
I'll cold crash bottle and see how we go

RDWHAHB, If you went from 1041 to 1005 it definitely fermented.

The only way to check if a beer is fermenting is with gravity readings, all others methods (krausen size, airlock activity) won't tell you much.

The krausen could have appeared then dropped or dispersed when you weren't looking.

Yeah sounds like it's all ok then mate. That's a good point too, the krausen may have been a very quick one that only appeared during the night or something.

Back