Brew Like A Monk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tangent said:
ur Joking?
[post="83530"][/post]​

are not! and your one is still probably in a shipping container in the middle of the ocean :p

mind you, you can always borrow mine in the meanwhile

Thanks Ross,

Can't wait to get home and get stuck in to this book.

Doc, I'm back from bending bananas, drinking beer and fueling avacados.....
when and where can i pick up my book..?
next time you are in the office... maybe we can meet at the australian for a beer and pick up.
let me know
KoNG

KoNG said:
Doc, I'm back from bending bananas, drinking beer and fueling avacados.....
when and where can i pick up my book..?
next time you are in the office... maybe we can meet at the australian for a beer and pick up.
let me know
KoNG
[post="84123"][/post]​

Lunch sounds the go. Check your email KoNG.

Beers,
Doc

Surface mail option from AHA took ten working days to get here, for a saving of $6 US.

If they can get a book to me in 10 days, why does Zymurgy take 10 weeks? :angry:

Stu, that's a very good question. I posed it to AHA and had the following response:

-----
Nick,

Thanks for the question. The reason you recieve yours at the time it arrives is because the homebrew store orders the magazine in bulk. Those are sent via a different delivery system and therefore get there sooner. The individual subscribers are all sent the same way and unfortuantely take several weeks to get to you. I apologize for the time it takes to get there.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason Bell
Member Services Team Lead
Brewers Association

[email protected]
Ph 303-447-0816 ext 102

World Beer Cup April 11-14
Seattle, WA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:52 PM
To: Erin Glass; Jason Bell
Subject: Zymurgy delivery times

Hello Erin and Jason,

I would like to know why Zymurgy takes so long to be delivered to your Australian subscribers.

I signed up with the AHA for one reason and one alone - Zymurgy subscription. I figured being a subscriber I would have priority delivery of the magazine providing it before I could buy it locally. Unfortunately this has not been the case and I am very dissatisfied with it all.

I signed up in June, it's now 23 October and have only received ONE Zymurgy. In Melbourne, Zymurgy is available for sale at "Grain and Grape", a homebrew store in Maidstone and the September/October edition has been available for weeks.

It's very disappointing that a magazine provided for 2 months is not delivered until the very end of the second month or even the month of the next magazine.

If this sort of delivery time continues throughout my subscription time, I doubt I will renew the subscription.

Looking forward to hearing back from you,
Nick
-----

Back on topic, I'm currently reading 3 of those brewing books but trying to concentrate on Designing Great Beers. I haven't opened Brew Like a Monk yet.

So, my one book order was a bulk order :blink:

Methinks a very similar, if somewhat snottier, email is coming from the Adelaide direction :angry: :ph34r:

Finally it arrived I have my brew like a monk , it looks good (have not really read much yet but on first impressions I might buy farm house ales as well)

Don't know if anyone has already said this but ,Brew like a Monk, Farmhouse Ales or Wildbrews, 2 of the 3 for $32 US. The ad was in the months BYO.

pbrosnan said:
Don't know if anyone has already said this but ,Brew like a Monk, Farmhouse Ales or Wildbrews, 2 of the 3 for $32 US. The ad was in the months BYO.
[post="85602"][/post]​

or all 3 for $43 US - check it out here

I am LOVING Brew like a Monk! Thanks Wee Stu.
Thinking of buying a robe :) "St. Benedict stated that a monk's clothes should be plain but comfortable and they were allowed to wear linen coifs to keep their heads warm."

I try to only read it monestary by monestary so I don't miss anything.
Is there one like this on UK Ales?
Any others people would recommend?

New sighting!
Dymocks, Rundle Mall, Adelaide, 2 copies @ $32.95 each.

Not aware of anything quite like it for the British Isles, Tangent. The Brewers Association did put out a series Classic Beer Styles (I hope this amazon link works) which dealt with most of the individual styles, some history and brewing advice and recipes. Some are getting a bit old now, and it could cost a bit to even just cover the UK.

As for other recommendations, I have just started reading The Brewmaster's Table by Garret Oliver. Ostensibly it is a book about matching food with beer, but it is much more than that. For a start it is well written, not always the case with beer books. It has some very attractive photographs (well at least to the untrained eye, Tangent :p ). He is very good at describing the flavours of beer, and there are potted histories of a number of styles and breweries. Also spotted this lunchtime in the Mall, for $39.95

fwiw - no affiliation with either Dymocks or Amazon, or the pubishers etc - just a tragic beer book geek :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing tragic about it Stu ;)
I just bought a Belgian Wit, and Belgian Abbey smack packs from Bill @ Holden Hill to go with my robe :)
I'd better do another read up on Chiller's yeast farming posts.

i ordered my copy of brew like a monk on friday for 24.95 from dymocks
at tuggerah. they cover shipping and its 2 weeks max delivery
sounds good to me plus i dont pay a cent till its in store

k dymocks website farmhouse ales 34.95 plus postage
order through store 33.95 no postage store pickup
if a stores near you then you can save a few bucks

Back