Brew Like A Monk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flattop

Reaction score
The book finally arrived today, i've had it on order... can't wait to get some quiet time to have a perusal....
Trouble is i seem to be always in here reading up on the latest methods and if i read all of Pistol Patch and Thirsty Boys posts on efficiency i'll be here for months

I feel a dubbel/trippel/lambic coming on.....

Mine arrived on Monday. I'm halfway through. It's a good read and I like the fact it devotes itself as much to different brewing practices as to recipes and grain bills.

I'm not a fan of any religion but the relationship with nature and natural produce and meditative reflection on such things suggested in the book is great.

Time and care make good beers

Good book for sure.

I am going to try to replicate a Leffe Blond for SWMBO, and I will definitely be re-reading this.
I have also been thinking of an Orval clone with the current Wyeast Trappist Blend seasonal that is out. Would be nice to throw down a triple batch and sit on it for a few years.

I like Brew Like a Monk because it never gives a direct recipe as much as a target to shoot for (as with Designing Great Beers). That format engages me a lot more, I think because I feel like I am in control. I have Jamil Zainasheff's Classic Styles, and I haven't brewed a single recipe from it. If I do, I will probably change something at the last minute, just because I am me.

I like the sound of this one. Where can I pick up a copy of this book?

This is a fascinating book. I got mine at Dymocks, but cheaper places would be amazon, abebooks, and thebookdepository websites.

The way it steps through all the breweries, their history, their processes, discussions with head brewers and top tips on how to replicate the styles of each while leaving a little to your own imagination and creativity. Even the stuff about the American craft brewery's modern take on replicating the belgian styles made for good reading.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to drink a Belgian and is interested in brewing them.

Hopper.

I got mine from amazon.com. Reasonable price and only about 10 days shipping.

Google it, i got it about $10 cheaper than Amazon ..... 14 British pounds from book repository

Amazon's probably my best option as Dymocks main store in brisbane just closed its doors for good it seems.

Might have to get 'Great beers of Belgium' while I'm there. :)

I buy most of my brewing books from hebookdepository .

Good proces and free shipping to Australia.

Regards

Graeme

Shopping at the Book Depository:

"Excuse me. Where can I find Brew Like a Monk?"

"It is back and to the left. Back and to the left."

A great book which will certainly lead you down the slippery slope to Belgian brewing obsession. If home brewing wasn't enough of an obsession as it already is!!

...also with the recent availability of Belgian malts in all the respective local brew stores makes for an ideal time to get your head stuck into this book.

I love drinking Belgian beer, and would like to see a book dealing in the brewing of them. Still got my first one (Belgian, not first beer) in secondary ferment, bottling tomorrow, but would like to focus on the styles more, and this book might be great. Two questions though

1. Is this just for full-grain recipes, or can partial mash and extract be found too (or would you have to somehow convert the recipes)
2. Are the qty's in metric measurements?

snipped>

I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to drink a Belgian and is interested in brewing them.

I think even if you don't like belgians all that much you would still enjoy reading this book, its a great read not just a belgian brewing reference book.

I love drinking Belgian beer, and would like to see a book dealing in the brewing of them. Still got my first one (Belgian, not first beer) in secondary ferment, bottling tomorrow, but would like to focus on the styles more, and this book might be great. Two questions though

1. Is this just for full-grain recipes, or can partial mash and extract be found too (or would you have to somehow convert the recipes)
2. Are the qty's in metric measurements?

It's not really a recipe book. It will tell you the basic malt and hops bills of a variety of Trappist, Abbey and other beers and will go through some of the processes used by head brewers but doesn't have a lot of hardcore recipes (some recipes from home and American craft brewers on how to emulate particular styles towards the back). This gives you the knowledge base and you can make up your own recipe based on the info - whether AG, partial or extract.

It's way better than a recipe book because it takes you inside the process of brewing some of the worlds most famous craft beers.

I was astounded by the history of brewing in Belgium, how many breweries there were at the turn of the 20th century. It was cool to find out how monks got involved in making beer in the first place.

It also put me onto some really good new world abbey-inspired beers, e.g. La Fin du Monde

Very enjoyable book.

Latest posts

Back