Brew Day Water pH

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries thanks Mark

I bought the pickling lime for doing some dark beers stouts porters

Haven't done one yet but will

Thought Ide give the Brun pale ale profile a go which has the bicarbonates at 110 ppm
Could have gotten there keeping the bicarbonate low which is what I had been doing
Without the high sulfate level

Have brewed the APA keg is nearly done turned out nice but won't be using pickling lime for my next pale

Thanks Mark. So the Germans did mean overdose and chlorides having no neglible effect. At such small quantities this seems weird as no one would notice such small differences in sulphate or chloride levels (given 0.5 - 1 mg/L zinc might be considered an overdose)? Maybe it's the non-scientist in me trying to understand the other chemical reactions going on that they probably glossed over.

Nah - I think you have it, the only advantage of the sulphate is that it won't change weight while you are watching it (not that fast - but ZnCl2 is VERY! Hydrophilic)
Most of my technical reading is German (if for no other reason that I CBA'sed converting everything from irrational measuring systems), and as you have noted ZnCl2 is the one preferred in German brewing literature, so when I went lookin for stock I went with the "recommended" one. The other was that one of my suppliers stocked food grade Chloride, but not sulphate so....

Use what you have access to. I passed a 10kg bucket of it to Brewman, I'm not sure if its on the website yet but I know he has Food Grade Zinc Chloride - ask him if nothing else comes to hand.

Considering the amounts you need I would dissolve 1g in 1L of water, giving 1mg/mL
To add 0.1mg to 35L would be 3.5mg or 35mL. easy peasy
Mark

Hope I haven't flubbed my finger counting:)
M

Latest posts

Back