Brew Craft Crown Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea. Crown Lager is up the top of the list with Hahn Super Dry and Tooheys Extra Dry. Of course it is all a matter of opinion. :icon_vomit:

The Trappist monks are busy praying for your soul.

This is an amazing drop. Just like Crown lager. It is a brewcraft make. You can get this at www.westbrew.com.au
I dunno about that.
I've had the Brewcraft Munich lager a few times, with just 500gms DME and 500gms dextrose
and found it was a hell of a lot better than Crown lager.

What else do they add in the Crown kit besides the Munich lager tin?

Yea fair enough i'm still on the L plates. Hence why this topic resides in "kits". It would be great to try some beer that someone has made that isn't a kit.

Fair go fellas - we all started on L plates in the beginning, and just progressed from there to beer-snobs

hehe, just tasting beer that isnt skinny , thin, tart crap is a start . hey I still drink it at the footy on saturday but am liking it less and less. Snobdom here we come weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Josh,

If you are achieving results that you want, than well done!!

If Crown lager is what you want than, bad luck mate :p

Seriously though, you brew for you and your own enjoyment!! So I am glad for you, you have found a recipe that is good for you!

Maybe steal $5 and go buy a bottle of Moo Brew PA and see what you think.....

Anyway, Happy brewing!
:icon_cheers:

Fair go fellas - we all started on L plates in the beginning, and just progressed from there to beer-snobs

+1 , lets not put people off before they get started ...

+2 , lets not put people off before they get started ...

Guys, I was at a business lunch last week at a BYO, and the vendor brought out a six pack of Crownies. Not to be rude, I accepted a bottle, to the amusement of the programmers that know me and have tasted my homebrewed ales. The Crownie I had previously last drunk in about 2003 or so, I used as an ashtray because I could not finish it. The one I had last week was drinkable. No kidding.

Sure I was seated outdoors in the sunshine, and was a little dazzled by the light, was hungry and thirsty, so any liquid with sugars and alcohol would have been good... but yes, I did finish it, before switching over to wine. It lacked the skunky, catty, vomity flavour I used to associate with Crown. It was just a plain thin lager, actually inoffensive. Maybe they've done some tweaking of the recipe recently, maybe my palate has changed...??

I think you're correct. A few years ago I remember it having more of that nasty after-taste (think nasty fosters burp with a bit of follow through), the kind that gets progressively worse as the beer warms up slightly from freezing.

With all their advertising of crownies as such a premium brand, perhaps they've finally chosen to make some slight improvements.

Its cool guys. One day i'm sure i'll be sharing in the "friendly" humour. Just got my hop rhizomes from Gilbrew (thanks). Just got to work out where/how to plant it. Being a farmer i'm sure i'll get it rightish. :)

It would be great to try some beer that someone has made that isn't a kit.

Josh, you should fill in your location so people know where your are. There's bound to be someone not too far away who would be keen to share a drop of AG, partial, or even an extract kit with some steeped grain. Most of us are keen to share and have a bit of feedback.

Also, keep an eye out for the case swaps. They are a good opportunity to taste a wide range of styles from a range of production methods and you'll get some good feedback on where your beers can improve. And don't worry too much about putting a kit beer into a case swap, as long as you think its good people will appreciate the effort and may even enjoy it too. :D

sorry about the off topic... B)

PS ive always considered crown to be overpriced VB but if you find something you like good stuff. Most of my friends choke on my stout which I love.

Ok, i'll try work it out. Is there a page here that explains all the codes here. Like AG - All grain? Things like that. SWMBO, I have no idea of. I've been looking and have been reluctant to ask. Thanks.

Ok, i'll try work it out. Is there a page here that explains all the codes here. Like AG - All grain? Things like that. SWMBO, I have no idea of. I've been looking and have been reluctant to ask. Thanks.

SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed AG - all grain.

wiki article:abbreviations
knock yourself out

never be afraid to ask (although I'm guilty of the same) :p

Thanks mate. Thats a great help. Sometimes it is really hard to find the simple things.

Isn't home brewing about cheap beer that you enjoy drinking, who cares what your personal taste is as long as you like it and enjoy the proccess.
I've been brewing for about 12 years now and really don't get right into all the nitty gritty, but appreciate the info I get from this forum, but don't get the snobby attitudes some have.

Guys, I was at a business lunch last week at a BYO, and the vendor brought out a six pack of Crownies. Not to be rude, I accepted a bottle, to the amusement of the programmers that know me and have tasted my homebrewed ales. The Crownie I had previously last drunk in about 2003 or so, I used as an ashtray because I could not finish it. The one I had last week was drinkable. No kidding.

Sure I was seated outdoors in the sunshine, and was a little dazzled by the light, was hungry and thirsty, so any liquid with sugars and alcohol would have been good... but yes, I did finish it, before switching over to wine. It lacked the skunky, catty, vomity flavour I used to associate with Crown. It was just a plain thin lager, actually inoffensive. Maybe they've done some tweaking of the recipe recently, maybe my palate has changed...??
I wonder if it has anything to do with where it's brewed? The QLD CUB Brewery (Yatala) certainly has a large output of VB (die-hard fans love hearing this :p ) and Crown Lager, and the output reportably has doubled over the last few years.

Even though I enjoy better beers far more, I'll still drink Crown Lager (maybe VB if I was dying of thirst!). If it's free and cold then a simple Lager is still ok to me, you just won't see me choosing to buy it!

Latest posts

Back