Brew Controller Bcs-460

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philski

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking into some brew assist software/equipment and I was originally thinking Brewtroller....

But I've since come across the BCS-460 (Brewery Control System)
BCS

has anyone heard of this?? Looks pretty good, but doesn't provide the same automation that brewtroller does - eg. fill volumes etc. and I believe it's easier to setup than brewtroller.

It looks like a great interface and can be controlled from anywhere (eg. smartphone) after being hooked up to your home network.

I'm probably looking at going to a RIMS system with mainly temperature/pump control. I still want to manually add hops etc.

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Phil

I also did the BCS and Brewtroller weigh up.. I ended up going for the brewtroller simply because it has a volume sensor configuration and automation.
The volume sensing is pretty good and once I can afford to buy some moterised ball valves I think the brewtroller will really show what it can do.. If you want automation you'll also have to look at a self priming pump.. the march pump is a bitch sometimes and your 'automation' will fall over..

The BCS does have a sexy web interface but I have found the Brewtroller LCD read out displays enough information..

Brewtroller is currently in dev on a web interface/control software and it seems slowish going so If you want to be up and running controlling/viewing your brew via web/smartphone then the BCS is for you. If your more into the build and wanting to tinker with code etc.. then brewtrollers the way to go..

happy building.. the build for me was great fun.. Oh the guys in #brewtroller on freenode are very nice guys and will help with all your needs... helped me from requirements to design and to build..

gav

I have a BCS460 setup with HERMS. Built a control panel with SSR to automate my Heat Exchanger element.
Very easy to setup and use for temperature control.
A big plus is the active support in the forum as well - linked on ECC pages in your link.

I have no idea on full automation, not something I've explored or am interested in.
Motorized ball valves, pilot lights, volume sensors etc.. It was all I could manage to setup HERMS, those extras would have killed me!

The web interface is easy to access, and customize is another plus for it. I use laptop and/or phone. I don't know brewtroller.

*This sort of post on their forums is probably worth exploring to see how viable it is for automating pumps/valves etc..
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/for...344c44a4967ccba

I use the BCS-462 and i absolutely love it, i run motorised ball valves, march pumps and gas valves on it and it just makes brewing a real pleasure, i can run full auto, but prefer to run in manual mode at the moment, easy to keep tabs on all your temps and regulate the whole brewery sitting at the computer.

mmmm I guess i need to decide on the level of automation. BCS does sound good though.

so what exactly can the BCS do? I understand it controls temp, but can it control the pump?

I probably want it to heat up water to strike temp then pump it into the MLT ready for mashing. then potentially use it for cooling so it recirculates until the wort has cooled to a set temp. Are these things possible? Just thinking out aloud here :)

Also getting it to control the fermentation fridge would be good, even though I already have a basic controller, it would be cool to be able to see the temps while i'm at work!!!

The volume sensing is pretty good and once I can afford to buy some moterised ball valves I think the brewtroller will really show what it can do.. If you want automation you'll also have to look at a self priming pump.. the march pump is a bitch sometimes and your 'automation' will fall over..

gav

interesting. so any recommendations on self priming pumps? are they as reliable as the march pumps? it seems most brewers have the march 809 so i'm assuming its a good pump!!

Yeah it can control your pumps, it can control anything you want i guess....it can be operated based on temp, input triggers and timers

your control can be hysterisis, directly on/off, PID, Duty cycle etc

i control pumps, valves and solenoids with mine....

it can also control heating and cooling for your fridges

i also use it to control the heat of my BBQ Smoker

no end to the possibilities, guys use them to also run their lighting systems in the house.

like mentioned earlier, it can be controlled by your smart phone (bcs460 only, for now)

also it can be accessed remotely on other computers under a read-only condition (ya mates) or you can give them access to change stuff ( i dare ya)

programming is very easy to get the hang of, and constant updates are available and the forum is there for all your questions

The BCS sounds pretty good! I think I will investigate further and potentially get one.

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone :icon_chickcheers:

FWIW i use march pumps on mine
If your system is well designed, you won't need self-priming pumps. Some of the brewtroller mob use valves to let air escape from the pump outlet so that the march pumps prime properly. My 2c here is to get it working reliably prior to automating - maybe using the bcs or bt as monitoring gear initially. If it primes reliably you are good to automate. Otherwise keep working on it till it does prime reliably.

I've been running a brewtroller on my single vessel rig (braumeister clone) for a year now and never have priming issues. Never have control issues either for that matter. It is a breeze to work with.

I think the advice above about which system is good - bcs is easier to get going with, bt is for the tinkerer and is potentially more powerful. I'm a tinkerer and I love to push the limits a bit so that's why I have a bt.

In my brewbot mk1 I just used a flow switch on the output side of the march pump. It primes fine most of the time, but when it doesn't the MCU can detect it. Usually just stopping the pump, letting the bubbles settle and trying again seems to work. Pretty easy to do via software.

how do I setup my rig so my pump primes correctly?

The goal is obviously to have the liquid cover the impeller.

My guess would be to have the pump as low as possible, input at the bottom, smooth flowing piping, and the outlet side unrestricted to the atmosphere.

Air locks/bubbles are the enemy. But sometimes the vibration of the pump starting is enough to shake them loose.

The goal is obviously to have the liquid cover the impeller.

My guess would be to have the pump as low as possible, input at the bottom, smooth flowing piping, and the outlet side unrestricted to the atmosphere.

Air locks/bubbles are the enemy. But sometimes the vibration of the pump starting is enough to shake them loose.
As Zizzle has said, but especially having the outlet side open as the pump head fills up. That way air gets pushed out as it fills.

I have the center inlet march pumps, underneath my vessels, can't say I have ever had any priming issues with them.

Is the priming issue that the flow is 'very slow' or 'non existent'?

mine is in the center down the bottom and I'm always getting issues.. Can you post some pics of your rigs?

Same (center inlet, some priming issues)
I think mine is related to siphon from Mash Tun. It sometimes seems to stop siphoning properly, so it's not the pump, but the source.
When pumping from elsewhere, no problems.

A lot of the Yanks seem to have a split on the pump outlet with ball valves, then fresh air into a bucket on one. They let flow through this one, to bleed air out, then switch over.
You could do the same with motorised valves and have it so that it is either one way or the other - flow to bucket or recirculate.

Although I think that bleed valve solution might be overkill.

Latest posts

Back