Brew boss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dicko said:
The basket looks similar.

on a side note I have a Keg King hop filter made of S.S Mesh and during the boil it appears to get coated with a bit of protein.

I would imagine the mesh would want to be a little coarser than the hop mesh so the wort could recirculate

The water volume would be controlled to some extent by the height of the holes in that center pipe....possibly??

I would like to see a little bit more detail in the video of its actual operation.

In any case it wont take long for an inventive Aussie or two to make a clone. :lol: :lol: :ph34r:
I like the COFI wort return idea,lessens the problem of channelling and gives a good even return, and easy to make.
For a larger pot or for a more efficient " sparge" a home made jobby could have 3 such returns arranged in a triangle so the grains are well and truly rinsed.
Call it the Immersion Mash Rake, or The 3 Fingers of Glory.
Your choice. ;)

or just have the immersion mash rake be a stirrer as well ;)

spog said:
I like the COFI wort return idea,lessens the problem of channelling and gives a good even return, and easy to make.
For a larger pot or for a more efficient " sparge" a home made jobby could have 3 such returns arranged in a triangle so the grains are well and truly rinsed.
Call it the Immersion Mash Rake, or The 3 Fingers of Glory.
Your choice. ;)
:lol:

Three Fingers of Glory spog,

but you get the naming rights if you build it. :lol: :ph34r:

dicko said:
:lol:

Three Fingers of Glory spog,

but you get the naming rights if you build it. :lol: :ph34r:
Pic's or it didn't happen

Hmm, tee shirts for advertising ,nah with my sense of humour they wouldn't pass censorship.

I had a play with the Brew Boss app "its free" I foiund it resonably simple to use, My samsung phone had a glitch, it worked ok on my tablet however. On the web site they recomend purchassing a dedicated tablet $60.

Not sure i like the talking robot woman voice telling me how to make beer though.

Is there someone who could explain the differences between the Brauduino functionality and this gadget???

Im building a 1V setup at the moment and i think ill build it with the COFI basket, i think it would be better off having a fixed bottom and then a second strainer plate that pulls up for the squeeze. Im thinking a cut a pot in half that is the right diameter then bolt a piece of stainless screen in the middle using a few strips of stainless for clamps.

cheers

Hahaha,

That voice sounds a bit like "Karen" from the GPS :)

Having Billy Connelly telling you how to brew would a hoot.

justatad said:
If she talked dirty to me it would make the brew day go so much better . :drinks:
Hahaha,

I am afraid that I have yelled at her to many times over the years for me to do any good.......although, If I plied her with alcohol...mmm!!

hotmelt said:
Gordon Ramsey would be good but what would the worst be ,Julia Gillard?
Ugh, imagine J G's monotone voice,clearly,engage,embrace,on or brewing journey.
There would be brewers swinging from the rafters all over the country.
I forgot. Moving forwarrrrrd......

I've just realised I've built one of these by accident. You can get those baskets custom made in the US and sent out (which I did about a year back, go to arborfab dot com). Except I just return the silicon hose onto the mash (works no problem - COFI is a just bling). My basket has no top on it and some hooks on the side to hook onto the kettle and drain post mash. Control panel with PID, SSR/heatsink etc. Just replacing a rusty camco element at the moment (with S/S), then I will post photos.

If they are to compete with Grainfather and Braumeister their product needs to be more rounded/packaged (more German?). People don't want separate pumps, controllers, different order options (simple, deluxe), excessive hoses, etc. At least mine has the march pump connected directly to the kettle output, reducing "hosage" to one hose.

I dont know foles, i kinda like the brewboss's DIY look. But if i could get a 50l grainfather for $1500 i would snap that up. The braumeister is just too pricy for one big lump of cash, i would never get that past SWMBO. She doesn't even drink so absolutely no understanding of the importance. I guess the problem with the brew boss is it looks like something you can build your self so i doubt it would ever sell well.

Actually even if it matched the 20L Brau price I'd be tempted to snap it up.

foles said:
I've just realised I've built one of these by accident. You can get those baskets custom made in the US and sent out (which I did about a year back, go to arborfab dot com). Except I just return the silicon hose onto the mash (works no problem - COFI is a just bling). My basket has no top on it and some hooks on the side to hook onto the kettle and drain post mash. Control panel with PID, SSR/heatsink etc. Just replacing a rusty camco element at the moment (with S/S), then I will post photos.
I look forward to seeing these photos when you can. What size is your kettle and the inner mesh basket?

It might be worth having a crack at making the basket at very least. I can get 700um woven stainless for about $70/ linear meter and that is 1.5m wide. Could make 2 and have left over for hop baskets.
Thanks for the links

CoxR said:
It might be worth having a crack at making the basket at very least. I can get 700um woven stainless for about $70/ linear meter and that is 1.5m wide. Could make 2 and have left over for hop baskets.
Thanks for the links
CoxR do know somewhere to get the mesh? preferably online? or does anyone else?

Yeah mate there are loads of places. I use locker group for work but just search for woven stainless mesh in your area and you should be fine

Latest posts

Back