Breaking Glass When Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprising to read the consistent success rates with people not using bench cappers.

However I'll always use one if I'm using cap-bottles as I can borrow my neighbours at any time I need it But I've seen them sold for around $50 at K-Mart (Brigalow brand?) and also for around the same at Absolute HB if I recall. It's a very small investment that pays for itself after only one brew, that is if you are having breakage troubles with your present device.

You could go one step further and start collecting swing-tops, eventually you'll never have to use a capper again. I presently have enough of these babies for around two brews, and it's a breeze when bottling day arrives.

I've started bottling some of my beer (the lagery brews) in 660ml Bavaria bottles which have a genuine crown seal lip, not a twist off. As you can see they (the green one) are quite thin and delicate and I was a bit hesitant at first.

bottles_comparo.JPG

They cap sweet using a Bench capper, no problems. I don't think I'd be game to lay into them with a hammer :eek:

But I've seen them sold for around $50 at K-Mart (Brigalow brand?) and also for around the same at Absolute HB if I recall. It's a very small investment that pays for itself after only one brew, that is if you are having breakage troubles with your present device.
You can break $50 worth of bottles in a single day? Dare I say (and this goes for all the 'chuck it out despite the fact that people have said it works' folk) - "you're doing it wrong!"

To be fair, my collection of bottles (6 batches worth or so) is entirely crown top - no twist-offs. I believe the instructions that come with crown seals (at least the ones I have) state that if using twist-top bottles, you should use a bench capper.

I use a little hand held capper. I don't have an appropriate bench and it's cheap. I get a very occasional broken bottle but mostly it's fine.

I bottle in Coopers long necks, schofferhoffer/Brok/whatever 500 mL and now the occasional 330 belgian.

In the original post you didn't mention the surface you sit your bottles on. It may be obvious (and I apologise if it is) but you need cushioning underneath. Also a wooden or rubber mallet is infinitely preferable to a metal hammer.

If none of those things help then I reckon you've either got dud bottles or somehow the capper is distorted in shape.

Back