Break In My Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannibal Smurf

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question... I'll be brief cos I'm running late for work.

I did a brew yesterday and long story short I got heaps of trub in my fermenter. I BIAB and use an immersion chiller so there was heaps of hot and cold break in the bottom that got stirred and went into the ferm. :blink:

My question is should I just let it run it's course and enjoy or should I rack it into a secondary fermenter leaving the break behind?

I always end up with break in the fermenter, nothing to worry about from my point of view. It settles nicely on the bottom for when you are ready to rack to secondary.

Yeh, I also get lots of break in the fermenter, with no obvious problems. I always rack to a secondary after a week (with added finings) and I finish up with reasonably clear beer. Don't worry about it.

I would rack after about a week into secondary.

I wouldn't have thought the break would affect the beer at all, especially when given a week to settle out. It will be fine.

Sweet, I guess I was more concerned about the flavour changing because the yeast were feeding on the break??
But thanks for the great replies, my mind is now at ease.

The question of break material into the fermenter is usually on all new ag brewer's minds.

When I started ag brewing, this same question came up on the American homebrewing digest and was discussed by some top notch brewers.

They suggested that for the best end result, aim for zero hot break and about 10% cold break into the fermenter.

Your beer will be fine, but do rack it once terminal gravity is reached.

Since you use an immersion chiller, next time, you could try whirlpooling after the brew is chilled, wait 10 minutes, then run off.

Back