Bready Safale 04?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
I usually use Wyeast liquid yeasts, but didn't have time for a starter this time.
Thought I'd grab a dry yeast and give it a try - the Safale 04.
I'm making an EPA.
I've since heard mixed reports - the main issue for me is that it can generate 'bready notes' that many find unpleasant.
If they mean 'doughy' - I hate that in a beer.
So what temp should this be used at in order to not generate this flavour element? OR
If you have experienced this note, what did you ferment at?
Cheers.

I usually use Wyeast liquid yeasts, but didn't have time for a starter this time.
Thought I'd grab a dry yeast and give it a try - the Safale 04.
I'm making an EPA.
I've since heard mixed reports - the main issue for me is that it can generate 'bready notes' that many find unpleasant.
If they mean 'doughy' - I hate that in a beer.
So what temp should this be used at in order to not generate this flavour element? OR
If you have experienced this note, what did you ferment at?
Cheers.

Whenever i use so4 i ferment at 16-18 degrees and get very little esters,never had bready flavors.

Whenever i use so4 i ferment at 16-18 degrees and get very little esters,never had bready flavors.

Have used this yeast quite a bit (SO-4), and have had mixed results. Def keep the ferment temps on the lower side to avoid unwanted estery flavours/aromas. If anything I find it a far more suitable yeast for darker beer, or beers with a more chocolate or roasty profile, that bready/yeasty character certainly hides better in those conditions. Have just done some commercial trial work with Nottingham dried and have found it to be really clean and reliable, even in lighter coloured beers. Everything has it's place (or at least for the most part!), in pref I would choose the the Danstar Nottingham as my dried yeast of choice, or for a back-up yeast at least.(There is no substitute for liquid!)

S04 actually has flavour, and produces esters??????? :ph34r:

S04 actually has flavour, and produces esters??????? :ph34r:
Would you want that in an English pale ale???

Yorg,

SO4 is a good choice for English ales and gives a balanced flavour profile at 18C IMHO. Don't let it get too cool (less than 15C) as you run the risk of being left with a heap of diacetyl and poor attenuation. Never come across "bready/doughy" flavours from it, these are more likely to come from the malt used.

Cheers, Andrew.

Fermentis S04 is an excellent dry yeast with a very British flavour profile. Agree on the diacetyl, its a bit of mass producer of it but a decent rst should cure that.
The bready characteristic you describe is most likely from autolysis (no it does not have to smell like burnt rubber) and feel in very small doses is a positive characteristic.

K

Latest posts

Back