Bread Yeast To Brew Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
I think I'm going to do this. Use a Coopers Stout kit and keep it to 12L on top of yeast cake. Any other tips?

Finnish sahti is brewed with a fresh bread yeast that is specific to the country. I have heard that bread yeast is very hungry stuff, depending on the metabolism of your particular yeast, you might end up with a thin beer from the yeast eating all of your dextrines. I would suggest a very low temp to start with if you can to keep off flavours and fusels to a minimum.

I am keen to hear your results.

I heard that as well which is why I'm effectively doing a two can, plus a stout should be able to at least hide some of the less desirable traits of the yeast.

If you think kit yeast gives off shitty flavours, wait till you try this one.

I thought of this while making a starter the other day for my pizza dough.....

It could work, not sure on the potential flavours, will be interesting to see.

do you mean like cheap supermarket bakers yeast? or one of those fancy shmancy sourdough yeasts?

Finnish sahti is brewed with a fresh bread yeast that is specific to the country. I have heard that bread yeast is very hungry stuff, depending on the metabolism of your particular yeast, you might end up with a thin beer from the yeast eating all of your dextrines. I would suggest a very low temp to start with if you can to keep off flavours and fusels to a minimum.

I am keen to hear your results.

I beleive that they will be dissapointing :eek:

Bread yeast is designed (ie has the right DNA) to convert sugar into CO2 to make the dough rise. Brewing yeast is designed to convert sugar into alcohol.

So unless you want to make gassy, low alcohol beer with heaps of off flavours please just stick to using the correct yeast.

HTH,
Dave

If you think kit yeast gives off shitty flavours, wait till you try this one.
Hah, well I'm planning to start proper BIAB might as well go out with a bang.

Cheap supermarket yeast left over from making mead. I definately smelt sulfur while that was brewing so yeah keep it low.

Actually this is stupid, I'm not going through with this.

One of the reasons Home brew had such a bad reputation in the early days wasn't just the sugar or extract but a lot of the time brewers yeasts weren't available and bread yeast was substituted.

Believe me you won't like what you brew. Bread yeasts aren't comfortable fermenting high levels of sugar and throw some really interesting :huh: flavours and aromas, sadly they don't taste or smell good.

Andrew

One of the reasons Home brew had such a bad reputation in the early days wasn't just the sugar or extract but a lot of the time brewers yeasts weren't available and bread yeast was substituted.

Believe me you won't like what you brew. Bread yeasts aren't comfortable fermenting high levels of sugar and throw some really interesting :huh: flavours and aromas, sadly they don't taste or smell good.

Andrew

I've always thought the same thing, and I'm never brewing with anything but liquid yeast now.

But on the mead thread, a lot of people say they use bread yeast. Surely there's less flavour in a mead for the off flavours imparted by bread yeast to hide behind?

Just not sure why it's such a big no-no in beer, but with mead it's accepted fairly well.

I've always thought the same thing, and I'm never brewing with anything but liquid yeast now.

But on the mead thread, a lot of people say they use bread yeast. Surely there's less flavour in a mead for the off flavours imparted by bread yeast to hide behind?

Just not sure why it's such a big no-no in beer, but with mead it's accepted fairly well.

That's true Ronin, I've used bread yeast in mead with great results.
Perhaps I should have been a bit more descriptive with my original post.
I think the difference is the type of sugars involved and the quantities of these "wrong" sugars, with mead it's pretty much straight honey (monosaccharides, fructose and glucose) whereas beer has sugars (maltose, dextrines ect) derived from malt and wheat which are totally different, I think this may be why the flavours and aromas produced are so different to those with mead.

Andrew

There was a BasicBrewing episode where teh samae wort was fermented with both an bread yeast and Cal Ale, I think, to compare the difference.

Supposedly the results were quite reasonable. Sorry can't remember which episode but it was within the last 6 months or so. Might be worth a listen.

gary

I beleive that they will be dissapointing :eek:

Bread yeast is designed (ie has the right DNA) to convert sugar into CO2 to make the dough rise. Brewing yeast is designed to convert sugar into alcohol.

So unless you want to make gassy, low alcohol beer with heaps of off flavours please just stick to using the correct yeast.

HTH,
Dave

Not sure if i'd entirely agree with you on this one. both will consume the sugars and release CO2, until the oxygen supply is gone, then anaerobic respiration will take place which is where the alcohol comes into it. they both have all the same metabolic pathways, bread yeast will just shitter at making beer, for other reasons.

And on the flip side, I was told you can`t use the dry brewers yeast in bread yet some Google sites are saying you can, no problem. Other sites are saying you can`t :wacko:

stagga.

And on the flip side, I was told you can`t use the dry brewers yeast in bread yet some Google sites are saying you can, no problem. Other sites are saying you can`t :wacko:

stagga.

Stagga, you may be interested in some sachets of 'instant bread' i have. Jsut add to water and BANG, instant loaf of bread! :p

:icon_cheers: SJ

There was a BasicBrewing episode where teh samae wort was fermented with both an bread yeast and Cal Ale, I think, to compare the difference.

Supposedly the results were quite reasonable. Sorry can't remember which episode but it was within the last 6 months or so. Might be worth a listen.

gary

This is the episode. It is actually a video episode, and they were pleased with the results from memory.

stagga.

They also made bread with beer yeast in the above episode (US-05) from memory, so that MYTH is BUSTED!!! :p

stagga.

It can be done... done it... worked well to...

I used kit yeast to make pizza, rises a lot higher than normal bread yeast.

Read the packet of an Ale yeast and write down the specific yeast name. Take a packet of bakers yeast and write down the specific yeast used there. Take both names and compare them side by side. Ale yeast = Bakers yeast. It's the same yeast. What's actually different is the isolated strain of yeast in each packet on the shelf. Specific strains put off certain flavours, ferment best within certain temperature ranges, eat through simple sugars or complex sugars better than another strain, of exhibit many other traits that made it dsirable to continue producing while other less desirable ones are discarded. Makes it easier to market one over the other. Same on the bakers yeast market. But it's really the same yeast we are talking about.

Just like in the mushroom industry you can order so many different types of say bog standard white button mushrooms to grow out. They are all white button mushroom just different isolated strains with slightly different growing or fruiting parameters that let them be marketed against all the other strains. Mushrooms are a good example as they are very closely related to yeast cells for comparisson reasons.

By your fifth or sixth repitch you may find that bakers yeast readily adapting to that growth medium and putting out some decent results. But do you have the time to isolate, adapt and preserve your strain? Most people won't or can't but if the more scientific approach to brewing intrigue you then go for it, it's your hobby so enjoy yourself.

Back