Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I ran into a slight problem with liquid malt extract getting into my pumps on my last brew day. I used a can of LME to offset some of the grain bill for my high OG beer I was brewing and added it as the BM was ramping up from mash out temp to boiling temp. I suppose in the future the best thing to do will be to pre mix it with some amount of wort in a separate pot before adding to the BM. One afterthought was to wonder if you can manually activate the pumps during a brew session without having to abort it. I do not think you can pause a programmed session to activate the pumps, but I could be wrong. How do others handle the use of LME?

Chris

On tap - Duck-Rabbit milk stout clone
Just brewed - Pliny the Elder double IPA clone
In the queue - Jack Abbey baltic porter clone

Btw hopefully this post as a new thread rather than a reply...

crhall41 said:
Hi I ran into a slight problem with liquid malt extract getting into my pumps on my last brew day. I used a can of LME to offset some of the grain bill for my high OG beer I was brewing and added it as the BM was ramping up from mash out temp to boiling temp. I suppose in the future the best thing to do will be to pre mix it with some amount of wort in a separate pot before adding to the BM. One afterthought was to wonder if you can manually activate the pumps during a brew session without having to abort it. I do not think you can pause a programmed session to activate the pumps, but I could be wrong. How do others handle the use of LME?

Chris

Nope, reply :)

Why not just add the extract when it comes to the boil (or after whatever temperature the pump stops at)? Unfortunately I'm not aware of any option to modify the program once it's started without starting again.

crhall41 said:

Chris

On tap - Duck-Rabbit milk stout clone
Just brewed - Pliny the Elder double IPA clone
In the queue - Jack Abbey baltic porter clone

Just add it whilst the pump is running, before it gets too hot close to the boil, i'd probably add it just after the mash out.

I had the same problem one time when i added liquid malt to the boil and it wasn't till clean up i found the pump line full of extract.....in future take 5lts of wort out of the boil and add the liquid malt and get that all mixed in then add back to the boil.

Pratty1 said:
I had the same problem one time when i added liquid malt to the boil and it wasn't till clean up i found the pump line full of extract.....in future take 5lts of wort out of the boil and add the liquid malt and get that all mixed in then add back to the boil.
Ah, I didn't realise the OP meant there was extract in the pump at the end of the boil (I thought it was a problem with the pumps getting blocked with goo while raising to the boil).

I've only ever used DME, but I slowly add it towards the end of the boil. I don't see the point in boiling extract for an hour, and I had an extract die hard explain to me why late additions are better but I can't recall why right now. He claimed full length boils of extract contribute to it's low opinion among many brewers.

Mr. No-Tip said:
I've only ever used DME, but I slowly add it towards the end of the boil. I don't see the point in boiling extract for an hour, and I had an extract die hard explain to me why late additions are better but I can't recall why right now. He claimed full length boils of extract contribute to it's low opinion among many brewers.
Mr. No-Tip; Yes I just checked John Palmer's 'How To Brew' book and he does note to add the LME 5 minutes before the end off the boil though no mention of the reason. I suppose at this time you can just end the BM program and manually activate both the pumps and the heater for the final 5 minutes. Crossing my fingers that my IPA still turns out okay!

Pump wont operate above a certain temp even in manual

I don't think you need the pumps to get you extract in - slow pour and rigorous stir.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Received this email from BeerSmith two days late but it does provide the explanation of why you add extract late in the boil.

"Both liquid and dried malt extract beers suffer from an effect called a Maillard reaction as well as carmelization when brewing. A Maillard reaction is a chemical reaction that occurs between amino acids and sugars in the wort, and it accentuated by the use of extract in a concentrated boil. Carmelization occurs when liquid extract or excess sugars settle to the bottom of the brew pot during the boil and the sugars carmelize (harden) in the bottom of the pot. Of the two, the Maillard reaction actually accounts for the majority of the color darkening. This typically darkens the beer, and in extreme cases can also affect the taste of the beer. Obviously this is a problem for brewers of light colored beers. The effect is also common in high gravity beers in small brew pots because of the higher proportion of extract to water when boiling."

Live and learn B)

My First Saison in the 20L
I know its been discussed before, and ive been stopping and stirring every 5-10 minutes...

Vienna Malt (GER) 0.850 20%
Wheat Pale (GER) 0.850 20.1%
Weyermann Pale Ale 2.300 53.6%
Approx Total Grain Weight 4.3

1.2mm crack

no rubber seal on the top filter

http://youtu.be/IalQwo74VbI

http://youtu.be/Z4f8jjilZtw

http://youtu.be/OyPzEG8F0C0

Movies shot 10 minutes apart after removing screen and stirring up and continuing program

Be very happy with a suggestion.

What temperature did you mash in at? I find when adding 20% of above in wheat that mashing in as low as 40c does seem to eliminate this fountain problem for me.

Edak said:
What temperature did you mash in at? I find when adding 20% of above in wheat that mashing in as low as 40c does seem to eliminate this fountain problem for me.
Hi Edak,

Mashed in at 38 for 20 mins, stir, up to protein rest with 2 stirs on the way up, 25 mins at protein rest, then up to the 63 stirring every 10 minutes.
Im tired! and sticky.

^ ^ tired and sticky.....you paid for a machine to do the work and your stirring it...... :huh: Seriously with only 4kg of grain there is no reason to stir the mash after you have mashed in.

The water to grain ratio if you mashed in with 25lts is 6.25:1 and the room to move within the malt pipe for 4kg of malt is very good. The only beers that I stop and stir are >6kg and this is only before the main rest and during the main rest and this is becuase there in only 4.1lts per kg which in normal mash tuns is double what you need but with the BM and malt pipe's volume, it can do with a stir.

I get higher efficiency from >6kg malt bills by stirrng.. and I get even higher from small 3-4kg malt bills without stirring.

Pratty1 said:
^ ^ tired and sticky.....you paid for a machine to do the work and your stirring it...... :huh:
:D

It has a pump break every now and again to settle the grain bed...would stirring affect this?

Did you mill the grain yourself. You usually only get fountains with a to fine of a crush

brewchampion said:
1.2mm crack
And the stiring should help the channelling:
Back in post #46 "Brew Master" refferenced a pod cast where they inteviewd a Norweigen brewer who uses a 20lt Braumeister and has done more than 100 brews with his system. If you haven't listed to it it might be worth your while.
He stated that he pauses the mash program about every 10 to 15 minutes a few times and gives the mash a gentle stir and this improves effeciency and helps to avoid any channeling as well as "frees up" the grain bed to help the pump. I have tried this and it certainly visably improved the flow over the side of the malt pipe each time after the first two pause and stirs on a grain bill of 5.3kg The third pause and stir didn't visually indicate any further improvement in flow over the side of the side of the malt pipe. I will keep doing this for a few more brews and see where it leads me. I guess with doing this you just need to be very carefull not to get any grain over the side of the malt pipe.

But that diddnt work today.

So im going for a larger crack next time.

Too much effort for a 1 point / similar gain in efficiency. Crack slightly larger, set and forget... so much less hassle.

Back