Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my rubber seal from Clarky on the top screen today and it worked a treat. A few smaller pieces (flour almost) of grain floated through towards the beginning but no bigger husks like I was getting. I soaked it in Sod Perc before using and the industrial smell was gone.

Happy days and love the system! :super: Brew day is a breeze and loving no chill.

whitegoose said:
Yeah I reckon that would just about make the seal perfect. I'd probably still use the steel mesh as well.
It would block if you did, been there.

Pratty1 said:
Mine boils on the element from 12-4pm....that's not a metaphore either. Always wondered why its not boiling all the way around. 20lt rig.
Same here, around 2pm but I always thought it was because the hop spider was at 8am...I am brewing on Tuesday and I'll try putting the spider at 2pm.

beerkench said:
There's always quite a lot of wort left with the trub in the bottom after a Braumeister brew. Do you guys strain it, leave it or do you let it go into your FV?
I've been thinking about trying a food sieve or a large tea strainer. Has anybody tried using this method? The method of letting the trub stand over night sounds interesting too. I'm sure I can get more out of my BM as I am throwing away 2.5L of trub even after a whirlpool and hop stand. If I could get an extra 1L out of that 2.5L that's 2 beers!

When I started all grain I learnt it was quality not quantity. In saying that I too have thought of keeping the trub and chilling overnight and decanting that wort for the next starter?

I just wanted to let you know that I created a forum dedicated to the Speidel Braumeister. It is in no way my intention to try and replace forums like AHB, but I've found that BM information is a bit scattered.

Besides a forum there are plans for a Braumeister wiki and some more BM dedicated tools.

Please feel free to join us at http://braumeisters.net

As with all forum launches, content is thin, but I hope this changes rapidly...

Prost!

Niels

niels said:
I just wanted to let you know that I created a forum dedicated to the Speidel Braumeister. It is in no way my intention to try and replace forums like AHB, but I've found that BM information is a bit scattered.

Besides a forum there are plans for a Braumeister wiki and some more BM dedicated tools.

Please feel free to join us at http://braumeisters.net

As with all forum launches, content is thin, but I hope this changes rapidly...

Prost!

Niels

Nice idea, when your register it does not ask for a password, when you try to log in it wants one.

paulmclaren11 said:
I used my rubber seal from Clarky on the top screen today and it worked a treat. A few smaller pieces (flour almost) of grain floated through towards the beginning but no bigger husks like I was getting. I soaked it in Sod Perc before using and the industrial smell was gone.

Happy days and love the system! :super: Brew day is a breeze and loving no chill.
I bought some of this to try, with it fitted I can't get the screen into the malt pipe, it's to tight.

Batz said:
Nice idea, when your register it does not ask for a password, when you try to log in it wants one.
Once you log on they send you an email with a password and then copy and paste it into the password field.
I haven't worked out how to change the password yet but I will get there in the end.

Cheers

dicko said:
When I got mine I had a bit of grain bypass the top plate but id didn't seem to worry the brew or the pump. My BM is 12 months old and it came with the s/steel mesh.

Anyway...
I went to Bunnings and bought a length of very small diameter silicon hose, and slit it down the middle, cut its length to the diameter of the plate and slipped it over the edge of the plate and the mesh.
It was a bit tight so I got a piece of course sandpaper and sanded the outer edge of the tubing to make it flat where it touched the kettle and to give it clearance. That worked OK for a while but was a buggar to fit on each time.

I went to Adelaide and while I was there I went to "Fitch The Rubber Man" and bought a length of moulded rubber which was perfect as a seal, just cut it to length and slipped it on.

I can't now for the life of me find the part number of the rubber but it is the moulding that is fitted along the edge of a fuel tank strap on a fuel tank from a truck.
I believe it is silicon based and is very durable. I am doing my 41st brew with it as I type and it is still like new.
I'll do a search on their site and report back if I can find it.
dicko said:
I rekon this is it here.....They have changed their website since I was looking last time.

http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/fitchtherubberman/Products/629-orm

From these pages here

http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=6455222&OrderBy=NameOrAlias

the dimensions of my rubber are

Channel width 3mm

Outside width 5.6mm

Outside height 7.5mm

Check the dimensions with them before ordering
Batz said:
I bought some of this to try, with it fitted I can't get the screen into the malt pipe, it's to tight.
Hi Jeff
This info may help you get the correct rubber to suit.
Imo forget clark rubber and go to Fitch the Rubber man in Hindmarsh ..... Very helpful people

Batz said:
What size rubber did you get? I run a 20 ltr and the rubber is from memory 4mm x 5mm. Fits the solid top screen perfectly. Is a tight fit but goes in once water is filled in
and worked fine for me on the weekend.

beerkench said:
I've been thinking about trying a food sieve or a large tea strainer. Has anybody tried using this method? The method of letting the trub stand over night sounds interesting too. I'm sure I can get more out of my BM as I am throwing away 2.5L of trub even after a whirlpool and hop stand. If I could get an extra 1L out of that 2.5L that's 2 beers!
I start my boil with 28.5 litres my loss to boil is approx 12% I put 23 litres into the no chill cube and am left with about 2 litres of trub as someone posted earlier you can put this in the fridge and decant in to your wort the following day.
I whirlpool and leave it to settle with the lid on until it is around 80 C before putting it in to the no chill cube.

dicko said:
Hi Jeff
This info may help you get the correct rubber to suit.
Imo forget clark rubber and go to Fitch the Rubber man in Hindmarsh ..... Very helpful people
I thought I had the correct one Geoff, it's just too tight. I'll be back in Adelaide in March and Hindmarsh is just up the road so I'll check out Fitch then.

Batz

How much grain has to escape before it ruins the brew? I lost about a handful yesterday after the mash (long story) I thought I scooped about 90% out with a strainer but I probably missed some... Any way the brew deffinitly tastes bitterer than I had planned but I dont know if that is because I over hopped ( 20grams amarillo @ 60,15 and 0) or this is the dreaded astringancy??

Thanks guys

JJJ

I did a test during the mash cycle on the BM, after stirring in the grain I left the top screens off and secured the malt tube, fitting a sleeve over the centre bar, I wanted to see if the bottom plate would lift up, (lifting the sleeve with it) with the grain (if the little 8 Watt pump can lift 6 Kg of grain it may lift the bottom plate) fortunately this is not the case though it did lift the fine mesh.
I tried it a second time half way through the mash cycle the idea being the grain would now be saturated and more dense sitting on the bottom plate but again only the fine mesh moved upwards slightly.

Batz said:
a

After you log in you will have a "profile" tab. Enter all your preferences and settings there.
This is lookin good!

Being very subjective but I think I stumbled onto a very malt-forward thick moreish but still balanced mash schedule.

Nicked it from braukaiser.com, an infusion Hochkurz -schedule. My 4.3% apa has around 50 ibus of magnum and cascade but it drinks like a 5.5% beer. I have been using this same schedule on my 4 brews this January:

mash in (5mins) at 55
40 at 63
50 at 70
15 at 77

Besides, before it gets to 70 the wort has been already super bright, and I got like 91 and 95% mash efficiencies. Any bitters or pale ales I'll just be using this from now on.

What a beaut!
P1300016_zps29b02aec.jpg

DeGarre said:
Being very subjective but I think I stumbled onto a very malt-forward thick moreish but still balanced mash schedule.

Nicked it from braukaiser.com, an infusion Hochkurz -schedule. My 4.3% apa has around 50 ibus of magnum and cascade but it drinks like a 5.5% beer. I have been using this same schedule on my 4 brews this January:

mash in (5mins) at 55
40 at 63
50 at 70
15 at 77

Besides, before it gets to 70 the wort has been already super bright, and I got like 91 and 95% mash efficiencies. Any bitters or pale ales I'll just be using this from now on.

What a beaut!
P1300016_zps29b02aec.jpg
Nice one, I am often brewing lower ABV pales, what was your grain bill for this? I have a house Mid APA that I use Pale, Munich, Wheat and Crystal. Just wondering if you can still get a nice body with a more simple grain bill using your suggested mash schedule.

I used pretty much my usual "house" blend, munich 8%, 2-3% wheat malt, 4-5% various crystal malts, rest pilsner and pale ale. But this beer feels thick, a full mouthfeel.

Back