Brass Or Stainless?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotgut

Reaction score
I'm setting up some AG brewing equipment at the moment.

In a domestic environment is the benifit of stainless steel fittings (i.e. ball valves, couplings, etc.) worth the significant extra cost?

What are the potential issues with brass??

In my day job (yes I have to work as I cannot live on beer alone) I work in the pharmaceutical industry. We use nothing but stainless for anything that is product contact - theory is its the best material for cleaning. ie Its easier to clean and it is less likely to harbour bacteria and prevent carry over (from batch to batch, not really a home brewing issue).

In a domestic environment is the benifit of stainless steel fittings (i.e. ball valves, couplings, etc.) worth the significant extra cost?

brass has lead in it, which bothers some people.

Hello rotgut,

If you are looking for stainless products try this US based company.
I have just purchased stainless 1/2" calmocks and 3 piece ball valves
from them. Tp service and very good price. If you can keep your order
under 4lbs weight postage should be about USD$15.00 I have no affiliation
just a happy customer.

http://www.bargainfittings.com

Regards

Graeme

my dedication to stainless borders on some kind of religious devotion.

with my whole setup, i've opted to save for stainless, rather than compromise with brass.

I've gone all SS but only because of possible electrolysis caused by 2 dissimilar metals????

Has anyone investgated this and it's effects? Probably not a problem so maybe I'm just after bling (wank) factor! :p

cheers, Mat

Not sure if electrolysis is the correct term Mat, I believe it is galvanic corrosion. The two metals need to be in the same solution, with the amount of time a brewers equipment is stored dry after use then it probably won't have much of an effect if any. SS is easy to clean and some cleaners may be tough on soft metals like brass.

I have used plastic and brass to get going. Stainless will come eventually. Just clean anything well and maybe sample hot water after it's gone through it. If you don't like it or aren't sure, don't brew with it.

I've heard geordi steel in cheltenham are pretty good with steel, haven't gotten around to try them yet but a club member passed on 3/4" ball valves for 15 dollars a piece, stainless. Besides that, found a 5 dollar black anodized aluminum tap fitting to act as hosetail at bunnings, its in the irrigation section. Beerbelly has a decent range of SS plumbing parts, might be worth it.

Not sure if electrolysis is the correct term Mat, I believe it is galvanic corrosion. The two metals need to be in the same solution, with the amount of time a brewers equipment is stored dry after use then it probably won't have much of an effect if any. SS is easy to clean and some cleaners may be tough on soft metals like brass.

Yep true but could that galvanic corrosion cause electrolysis?

To quote wiki: Electrolysis is a method of using a direct electric current (DC) to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction.

What is this current doing to the mash??? As I said probably nothing but I'm sticking to this reason for spending the extra coin...

my dedication to stainless borders on some kind of religious devotion.

with my whole setup, i've opted to save for stainless, rather than compromise with brass.
you mean you actually WANT these? :lol:

I asked G&G the same question and this was their answer (which I thought was fair enough).

Prior to the boil use brass. Anything post boil should be stainless.

So, my sparge vessel is plastic with all brass fittings but my boiler is stainless with all stainless fittings.

I have one piece of copper in my setup... ketlle pickup tube, which i'm looking to replace with a stainless hop screen at some stage... the rest is either stainless or silicone.

HLT ss thermowell, ss element, ss compression fitting, ss ball valve
MT ss fasle bottom, ss pickup tube, ss compression fitting, ss ball valve
Kettle ss compression fitting, ss ball valve, copper pickup tube <_< Just doesn't seem right!!

Stainless is just a little easier to clean and less to worry about IMO

I've heard geordi steel in cheltenham are pretty good with steel, haven't gotten around to try them yet but a club member passed on 3/4" ball valves for 15 dollars a piece, stainless. Besides that, found a 5 dollar black anodized aluminum tap fitting to act as hosetail at bunnings, its in the irrigation section. Beerbelly has a decent range of SS plumbing parts, might be worth it.

geordi rock, they have everything. even sell Stainless all thread to use as bulkheads.

Yep true but could that galvanic corrosion cause electrolysis? No

To quote wiki: Electrolysis is a method of using a direct electric current (DC) to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. You need to put current into the solution from an external source.

What is this current doing to the mash??? ABsolutely nothing

Copper and brass have some antibacterial properties. SS does not.

all stainless fittings in the kettle and brass elsewhere. I pull apart and soak the stainless overnight after every brew,rinse and let dry,keeps nice and clean.Copper in the boil is beneficial . ive heard chucking a piece of copper pipe in ya boil is advised,tho you may allready have it if you use a copper immersion chiller.

Metals that affect your beer podcast

Thanks for your comments everyone. I guess once you dunk a copper immersion cooler in the kettle it all becomes a little redundant!

Back