Brand New Copper Tun Pet Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palmers HTB states there is a mixture for a bleach/water no rinse sanitiser. I believe 4ml per litre (off the top of my head).

The Coopers instructions in the big red box (that had fermertor, 30 uncapped PET bottles, etc in it) said the bottles can be used first time without sanitising.
The coopers instructions also suggest fermenting your beer at around 30degC ....

The coopers instructions also suggest fermenting your beer at around 30degC ....

Ferm temp is a different issue to sanitation and not what the OP was asking about.

You do not need to sanitise a new PET bottle straight out of the box, just like you dont need to sanitise Glad Wrap if you use it to cover the top of the fermentor. Neither will you find commercial bottlers using mixtures of bleach and vinegar to sanitise new PET bottles before filling with Coke, Fanta, mineral water, whatever.

Ferm temp is a different issue to sanitation and not what the OP was asking about.

You do not need to sanitise a new PET bottle straight out of the box, just like you dont need to sanitise Glad Wrap if you use it to cover the top of the fermentor. Neither will you find commercial bottlers using mixtures of bleach and vinegar to sanitise new PET bottles before filling with Coke, Fanta, mineral water, whatever.
Ferm temp is a different issue, but the accuracy and validity of the 'Coopers instructions' instruction are what is relevant to the OP's question. The general consensus among educated home brewers (most everyone who reads this website) is that the 'Coopers instructions' (as well as various other instructions provided on stuff like yeast packets) are targeted toward doing things the easiest and simplest way possible - which is not always the best way.

Nobody suggested that commercial bottling processes use bleach to sanitize bottles prior to use - but if that's all the OP has - it's all he can use.
However, since commercial bottling processes do have washing/rinsing/sanitizing functions, it reinforces the idea that it's not a bad idea to wash/sanitise new bottles before use.
Examples of commerical bottling machines (that include washing/rinsing functions) here:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/56455303...achine.html?s=p
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/52732390...achine.html?s=p
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/51400941...achine.html?s=p

Well I bottled the beer last night, I decided to go with a quick bleach and vinegar soak, and good rinse in hot water. Fingers crossed and wait now.

My only concern is that there were a about 6 carbonation drops left over from the bag of 60. I'm hoping that there were just some extras in the bag and that I didn't miss some out, I'm pretty sure I didn't though.

I can't wait for my new Coopers kit to arrive tomorrow so that I can get the next one underway. :) I'm going to do the lager kit that comes with it, but I got the brew enhancer 2 and some Saaz hops because I've heard that the kit alone is a little bland.

Try to get some decent yeast. That goes a long way to making a better brew. Along with good fermentation temps and the rest of the stuff you have probably read about.

I'll probably just stick with the yeast that came with it. I don't have the set up to keep the temp low enough for a proper lager yeast.

We're almost heading into spring now and temperatures are fluctuating quite wildly, quite easy to keep it in the 18c-22c range with a heat belt, but I don't think I could consistantly keep it arout the 13c mark. When I've got a few more brews under my belt I'll remedy that, but for now I just want to keep this pretty simple.

With summer coming on (assuming we get one this year :rolleyes: ), I'll probably start doing some ales and bitters to keep things interesting.
After I do this lager I'll have 60 bottles of Pilsner and Lager for the summer...provided I can keep my hands off it until then. :lol:

It's more the fact that the yeast-sachets supplied with your kits have been kept warm (for goodness knows how long).
Spending a small amount on a specific well known brand of yeast that has been kept refrigerated should go a long way to giving better results (assuming of course your LHBS refrigerates their yeast, and if they dont find a new one!).

Good advice. I've got to take a drive out there to pick up some starsan anyway, might have a look at some yeast too.

Back