Braidwood Ale Brewing Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tseay

Reaction score
Dear all,

Rather than undertake the usual sometimes boring brewery tour, The North West Sydney Brewers have organised with Scott at the Braidwood Brewery to brew a batch of Braidwood ESB wort under his supervision, before Scott puts the plant into mothballs before heading north. Brewing day will be Dec 28th.

We would then take the wort home and ferment as usual with our choice of yeast.

As we have decided to expand the volume of wort ,there is an opportunity for other brewers to join us on the day and/or to put their hand up for a 20l cube of wort.

Cost of the wort will be $42 per cube. However there are only 4 cubes not spoken for.

Given that timing is of the essence, if you are interested would you pm me ASAP or after Friday contact me on my mobile on 0407 434 984.

Thanks

Tseay

Note: The Fine Braidwood Ale, will continue to be brewed and sold, but not at the Braidwood plant.

If no-one else wants in, I will be forced to take more of the wort (I'm already in for 2 cubes). :lol:

I'm also doing the trip down for the brewday, leaving Cherrybrook early on the 28th and returning that night. If you are close by and can get to my place early then you are welcome to share the trip and travel costs.

Beers,
Doc

I'm new to brewing, but this is too good an opportunity :)

I'm in (Thanks Tseay), I may take you up on that offer Doc - only just looked at where Braidwood is! I just managed to wrangle the day off with work - still have to tell the partner of course :blink:

So - 3 hours drive ?

According to Whereis.com.au it is a Total travel distance of 319.58 km with an estimated travel time of 5 Hrs 12 Mins.
However I plan to use the new M7 (hence the requirement to get to my place), and in my trusty Beemer with cruise control and The Brewing Network playing on the sound system and leaving at 5am (sharp) I should be able to make it to Braidwood for mash in at 9:30am. I'd like to think it will take less time to get there, but I don't want to be late.
If I arrive early I'll have time to find a second breakfast :p

Beers,
Doc

I would be very interested in coming. Are there any cubes left? Ill be able to confirm later tonight.

What an awesome day.
Great to put some more faces to names.
A great brewday put on by Scott at Braidwood.
Damm those cubes were hot putting them in the car and again taking them out 3 hours later at home.
They are currently chilling in the bath :p

Top organisation Tseay.

Beers,
Doc

so what are you saying doc :eek:
the beemer doesnt have a/c :p and you had to drive in the heat.so the poor wort had to suffer.

mmmm
big d

Yep, i agree Doc, a top day indeed.
Well done Chris and thanks to Scot.
Would be nice to show some photos to the forum, from those who snapped a few

Got my two :p cubes in fridge to get them down too.

Cheers

Thanks to both Chris and Scott for the great day.
Thanks also to Doc for the tip on how to cool the wort. Sometimes, my brain just ain't in gear. :)

I'll try and get copies of the video I took to interested parties.

Berp.

big d said:
so what are you saying doc :eek:
the beemer doesnt have a/c :p and you had to drive in the heat.so the poor wort had to suffer.

mmmm
big d
[post="99767"][/post]​

On the contaray. The Beemer has great a/c, and the boot is really well lined and insulated :p

Doc

:D
and i wouldnt be suprised if you had a ventmatic installed somewhere in your car doc.

Thanks to Pumpy for dragging mine back with him, and also to Tseay
and the NWS brewers for organising this event.
I'll be dropping 007 dry english ale yeast(thanks berp!) into my 20lt cube....once its cold enough...picked it up at 9pm and its still got a fair whack of heat in it. Its now chilling in the fridge

What a facinating day watching a true brewer in action thanks Scott for all the passion you exuded when explaining the process some great tips you did not hold back :) however unlike Rex Hunt you failed to kiss the final product the wort .but hell what a day .

Chris you also have a tremendous enthusiasm for explaining and covering all the issues around the organisation of the day, when you organise something again count me in .The drive was worth it ,them wombats make a bit of a dent in the fender . :huh:

Pumpy

It was a you beaut day, although my wort was still 70 degs after the 3 hour drive and even after being in the fridge is still hot!!! lol It was a great day and i hope to catch up with you all soon for the tasting.

Scotty

Great Day

Many thanks to Chris for organsing the day :beerbang: . Also thanks to Scott for sharing his knowledge and passion to real ales. Cant wait to try the finished product. It was also great to meet some fellow homebrewers truly a great day. Cant wait for that milk stout

Thanks
cheers

BS :beer:

Berp
I would like a copy of the recording of the day if possible. Let me know if you have problems coping it I may be able to help

Cheers
BS

Here are some pics I've pulled off the camera this morning.

Almost a boilover. Caught just in time.
BraidwoodBrewDayDec05_008__Large_.jpg

Trev doing a great job filling out cubes.
BraidwoodBrewDayDec05_014__Large_.jpg

All cubes ready transport back to Sydney.
BraidwoodBrewDayDec05_017__Large_.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Back